2003 A6 2.7 Quattro Turbo issue Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 A6 2.7 Quattro Turbo issue Please Help!

Recently lost lost job and now this...

I believe it's the turbo acting up.
On very low acceleration I don't hear anything but, when depressing the accelerator a little further (I guess when the turbo spools up) I hear (from inside the car) what sounds like a gushing air coming from the engine compartment. As I haven't owned this 100,000 mile, second hand car for long, I'm not certain if performance is affected. A friend standing outside, as I drove past him, said it sounded metallic in nature. I theorized that perhaps the turbo impeller is hitting up against something, maybe the induction valve? Not only is this my first Audi, but my first turbo charged vehicle.

This problem started as I moderately accelerated on the on-ramp of a highway and the check engine light came on soon after. I have never driven the car beyond 80 mph and never floored it.

Does this problem require a new turbocharger or something else?
What kind of costs am I facing?

Please help!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the check engine light for? might want to go to your local auto parts store and borrow their code scanner

gushing air could be a boost leak - you'll need to look for rips or tears in your pressure plumbing, i.e., throttle body boot, intercooler hoses, diverter valves, etc.

might also help to pressure test your system - AWE sells a kit, or you can make it from parts from Home Depot
Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quickaudi:STFA
what is the check engine light for? might want to go to your local auto parts store and borrow their code scanner

gushing air could be a boost leak - you'll need to look for rips or tears in your pressure plumbing, i.e., throttle body boot, intercooler hoses, diverter valves, etc.

might also help to pressure test your system - AWE sells a kit, or you can make it from parts from Home Depot
quickaudi:STFA,

Thank you for your advice!
You were absolutely correct.

The problem turned out to be a fairly simple fix, a torn pressure line.
I just took the car to my local, trusted mechanic who diagnosed and repaired the problem with no trouble and minimal cost.

I was truly dreading a trip to an independent Audi repair shop who told me my turbos were probably going bad and should be replaced and this was the same message from two different shops.

Again, thank you for your quick knowledgeable reply.
God bless you.

Gratefully,
Don L.