Allroad Tranny woes

Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 AM
CBP
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad Tranny woes

Hey Guys

I am trying to troubleshoot my transmission problems for 2001 allroad.
Wife was driving it,made a U turn and suddenly car wouldn't go. Reved engine numerous times and finally a bang and transmission went in to gear though it slipped badly ---but she got it home.

Check engine light is not illuminated but I hooked up my OBDII code reader anyway -- no codes. Jacked up front and put on stands. Car goes into all gears, wheels spin in all gears though not enough to move car. I was hoping that transmission was low on fluid and thus not providing enough fluid pressure to actuate TC. No such luck!
Dropped transmission pan this moring and found metal fragments in bottom of pan. They were just floating on the bottom and are not metallic. Photo is attached

So I am hoping for some insights from TIP transmission wizards or others who have encountered the same issues.
Will the TC desintigrate and leave shards like this? --they look a bit like gear teeth.
Or is the transmission the only thing that can leave shards?

Just trying to figure out what I am in for: Torque converter, transmission or both?
Any help much appreciated.

Chad
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2013, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

They look like differential or gear teeth, if you remove the rear of the transmission I am certain that the drive gears are broken. The fact that you can hear it shifting tells me that your problem is in one of these two areas
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 AM
CBP
AudiWorld Newcomer

HI Mark

Thanks for feedback. I dont have any technical information about the transmission or how it works so I am a little in the dark until manual arrives.

The fragments are not magnetic (dont stick to magnet). Wouldn't the gear teeth or diff teeth be steel? or are they SS and thus not magnetic?
I was guessing that my problem lies at the torque converter to transmission interface.
Would you advise taking prop shaft off and then removing rear section of awd transmission to take a peek before tearing out engine?

Thanks

C