Cam Chain Alignment ... or not.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cam Chain Alignment ... or not.

2000 A6 2.7 Quattro 6spd Man. 132K miles

A bit of a data dump, but just wanted to give you some background before the question.

Recent vehicle purchase. Patching various neglected oil leaks; cam seals, tensioner seals, valve cover seals, front main seal, etc. For disassy, crank was aligned/locked, cam pulley flanges lined up horizontal (w/ big hole inboard & locked), & cam notches were aligned with cap arrow ^ . T-belt off & I marked cam chain position to cams, to know what I started with. All that's going OK, but I have some confusion on alignment of the cam chains, particularly on the number of rollers between cam marks. I don't want to trust what was done before me & want to confirm proper alignment of the chain to the cams as I reassemble. Left side has intake & exhaust cam notches that align with the peak of cam tooth, while the right side has intake cam with notch aligned to valley. So 3 of 4 cams have timing notch at a tooth, while right intake has notch at valley. As you can see from my pics, upon disassy, the left had 14 chain rollers betweenteeth, & the right side had 15 rollers (counting the 1 on the valley mark. Can some of you experienced guys comment on the correct # of rollers I should have between cams & confirm the counting method. I've seen sketches indicating both intake & exhaust cams have notches aligned with the valleys but that's not same as mine. Surely this issue must have come up before and there is one "right" way to do each side. By the way, I had these codes before disassy:
Codes:
P1690 - Malfunction Indication Light Malfunction
P1606 - Rough Road Spec Engine Torque ABS-ECU Electrical Malfunction
P1340 - Crankshaft-/Camshaft Pos.Sens.Signals Out of Sequence
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1519 - Intake Camshaft Contr.,Bank1 Malfunction

Thanks in advance, CRuby
Attached Images   
Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for some odd reason, 16 and 1/2 sticks in my mind

try searching the archives on the S4 forum - I remember one of the EPL guys posting about it.