Catalytic Converter - Cheap Fix from Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter - Cheap Fix from Dealer

Have P0421 code which is for a bad catalytic converter passenger side. My local independent (reputable with VW/Audi) said there was a fix I could get from the dealer and to try that first.

The measuring tolerance on the allroad are so tight, the ECU throws a code even though the system is operating within acceptable tolerances.

The fix is the dealer reflashes my ecu to relax the tolerances instead of paying for a new cat. I pay for a flash instead of a brand new cat. Cheap by comparison with a cat running nearly $1,500.

Now for the problem....I can't find a dealer who will hunt down the flash or perform the flash. Audi North America (after research) said the fix is no longer available or supported!!! They no longer provide this to the dealers and basically sorry about my luck...

Anyone have an inside track that can help me???? Any help is much appreciated!! I'm in Baltimore, MD.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 allroad
Have P0421 code which is for a bad catalytic converter passenger side. My local independent (reputable with VW/Audi) said there was a fix I could get from the dealer and to try that first.

The measuring tolerance on the allroad are so tight, the ECU throws a code even though the system is operating within acceptable tolerances.

The fix is the dealer reflashes my ecu to relax the tolerances instead of paying for a new cat. I pay for a flash instead of a brand new cat. Cheap by comparison with a cat running nearly $1,500.

Now for the problem....I can't find a dealer who will hunt down the flash or perform the flash. Audi North America (after research) said the fix is no longer available or supported!!! They no longer provide this to the dealers and basically sorry about my luck...

Anyone have an inside track that can help me???? Any help is much appreciated!! I'm in Baltimore, MD.
There are specialty suppliers that sell spacers to move the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter out of the exhaust stream. This will reduce the number of times the ECU thinks the cat is below efficiency. I used one from Design 42 on a GTI VR6 operated in Mexico with a cat delete pipe for about 5 years and 50,000 miles and had the low efficiency DTC on about 3 or 4 times.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
There are specialty suppliers that sell spacers to move the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter out of the exhaust stream. This will reduce the number of times the ECU thinks the cat is below efficiency. I used one from Design 42 on a GTI VR6 operated in Mexico with a cat delete pipe for about 5 years and 50,000 miles and had the low efficiency DTC on about 3 or 4 times.
1500 for a cat is dealer item with entire downpips.

Just get a indie exhaust shop to weld in a universal car...cost approx 100 bucks.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you can also search for the Diode mod, which you basically add a diode to the sensor wireing, which will lower the voltage from the sensor so the computer thinks its ok. this mod takes less then 10 minutes and is my preferred method
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Luxus Panzer
1500 for a cat is dealer item with entire downpips.

Just get a indie exhaust shop to weld in a universal car...cost approx 100 bucks.
I've had everyone tell me the aftermarket cats just don't hold up compared to the OEM, any experience on that?

Sounds like o2 spacers may be the ticket.......or if someone knows a way I can get someone to widen the tolerances....

Thanks again everyone.....
Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jschick
you can also search for the Diode mod, which you basically add a diode to the sensor wireing, which will lower the voltage from the sensor so the computer thinks its ok. this mod takes less then 10 minutes and is my preferred method
Thank-you....I'll look into this too!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2002 allroad
Thank-you....I'll look into this too!
Diode mod didn't work! I now get P0141 for the side I experimented on.

Anyone have experience in getting rid of my dreaded P0421 code without replacing the cats? Thanks!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you end up needing to replace the whole thing and want to stick with OEM parts, www.audipartsdepot.com is a good option, $675 for the whole right downpipe / catalytic converter.