Changed my Diverter Valves Have a ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed my Diverter Valves Have a ???

Ill get to the facts,

2001 A6 2.7T 6 Speed. I love it!
48,xxx miles
No Chip but maybe someday, reliability is key for me
Runs perfect

I changed the stock original diverter valves for the 710N design purchased from ACHTUNG because from what I have learned the stockers maybe arent the best and after 7 years 50,000miles they may not be in proper working order.

After changing them the car runs well, but one of the non-adjustable clamps that connects the vacuum line to the vacuum side (or the smallest tube) fell off and the tube split a little at the end. I used a piece of stainless steel safety wire to the tube and think I have a good seal but I no longer hear the diverter valves "swooshing" after I let of the gas for a shift. I plan on getting some vacuum line today (I changed them last night) but I am curious if I have a problem and wonder if I should HEAR the dv valves when letting off. I definitely don't want to harm the turbos as the whole point in getting new dv valves was to prolong their life.

Travis
Old 11-29-2008, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I actually haven't heard my diverter valves in a looong time.

they are pretty hard to hear over my exhaust, obviously.

I would say replace all of your vacuum lines and get something besides safety wire to hold them on.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Zip ties are sufficient. 2nd on replacing the vacuum lines.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Zip ties are sufficient. 2nd on replacing the vacuum lines.

zip ties not really my style and I was definitely hoping for more info about the diverter valve thing. My concern was determining how they actually operate to ensure a boost spike does not ruin one or both of my turbos. My understanding is as follows. Can you FOR SURE confirm either of these theories or not?

1. The + vacuum coming from the vacuum line when you hit the throttle closes the diverter valve allowing the boost to feed into the cylinder heads and create power. So if I was to unhook the vacuum line then I would not get any boost at all because the valve would never close right?

2. My fear was that I had a leak meaning the valve remained closed without the vacuum line and I the diverter valve would never open thus causing a boost spike. I read a little about diverter valves somewhere else on the web and I believe theory number 1 to be true.

Again I would love it if someone could confirm this however, I don't want an "I think". Im not trying to be mean I just feel this could cost a lot of money if its not right. Meaning I'd need new turbos and sure K04's are nice but this is a nice car not a race car and if they K03's blow in a few years I may buy the 04s but maybe not.

Travis.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ok then....

In my opinion, DV are not meant to be heard. I have been chipped for close to 20K miles and the only time I heard them is when its freezing outside and I had some cheap APB DVs in.

Ever since I switch to 701Ns I cant hear them anymore.

Unless you drove your car hard and for a long time, you should be fine.

FYI, there are only a few experts on AW. Most people speak from experience. Im not going to lie, I speak mostly from experience.

If your that worried about your turbos, then a 2.7t isn't going to do anything but add wrinkles. Ask any Audi owner, they are money pits. Maintenance is expensive and when things break it'll cost you your first born.

Simple solution.
Reconnect the vacuum line. Zip tie/safety wire if you will. Set and forget. If 710Ns are sufficient for k04 then they are plenty plus some for k03s.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default might want to calm down there, brah.

zip ties have held more vacuum lines on for longer than you've thought about owning your car, let alone owned it. if they aren't your style, great, but using safety wire that could only cut into the hose isn't going to help out any. unlike a clamp or a zip tie, safety wire won't expand with heat, so it will cut into the hose and then you're back to having problems.

to answer your questions, here's how diverter valves work

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1863174.phtml">how diverter valves work</a>
Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Ok then....

I was not trying to be sarcastic and I am sorry if it seemed that way. I definitely respect and appreciatte anybody's help. What I was trying to do is be very clear about my concern in order to get an answer which helped me to understand the issue.

I understand the safety wire not being a good idea and it was all I had that night. I assure you it is all fixed nicely now with much better than the original vacuum line and good clamps.

I also was not saying that 710N's were not sufficient or whether or not I should or should not hear them again just trying to understand how they should function since I had not done this before.

I understand 2.7's are a money pit and Audi's in general are expensive to maintain. This isn't my first one and on my last A4 2.8 5 speed I did the entire timing belt water pump etc service, replaced the entire suspension/tie rod ends just didnt do the alignment myself as well as the leaky head gasket/cam seals so I'm not exactly a novice with these cars.

Again I apologize if I seemed sarcastic or rude as I am sure I will call upon your Turbo Knowledge again someday and I truly do appreciate it. Thanks again.

So again I apologize if I seemed

Travis
Old 12-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Re: might want to calm down there, brah.

Sorry if I seemed sarcastic or rude not my intention you can check my post below for longer apology/explanation.

Travis