Completely stumped

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely stumped

This is basically a very long story but to boil it down my 01 S4 had to have the top end rebuilt.

After the rebuild the car would start and idle but moving off idle it would stall out...it appeared to be running very lean. After getting some VAG readings to track down the problem the car decided it would never start again. This is the point I am at it will crank all day but not start. It has compression, fuel volume and pressure seem good, it has spark but it never even tries to fire. All the mechanicals were checked and double checked same for the sensor and wiring (at least the stuff we can get to) we replaced the ECU thinking maybe just maybe it was the chipped ECU that had died but no luck...it seems to be flooding out. Pulling the plugs after an attempted start show they are just soaked. Looking at the injector firing signal it seems to just fire crazy hard and fast for the first moments the engine is cranked then backs off but by then it appears it is already flooded. The car is at the shop that put the top end back together. They are generally pretty good and have serviced the car for years including a previous valve job. They are stumped. I don't want to go towing the car around trying to find someone that can fix it but there must be something we have missed. What would keep it from even trying to start?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Darren
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why did it have to have the top end rebuilt? sounds like the shop that rebuilt it

needs to make it right.

at any rate, if they did it wrong and your timing belt wasn't put back on right, you just bent a bunch of valves and it'll never start.

are you sure you're getting spark? doesn't sound like you checked that.

have you checked for codes?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: why did it have to have the top end rebuilt? sounds like the shop that rebuilt it

The top end was rebuilt after the car basically over heated due to a massive coolant leak. It had alot of miles on in and there was no compression after the leak was fixed and restart was attempted. Ended up that the valves and guides were messed up so the heads were just totally rebuilt. The bottom end was inspected but seemed fine....

It did idle after the rebuild for a short time, so I don't think it was too badly screwed up, but since it would not run right they pulled it apart and checked all the timing marks etc to be sure nothing was wrong. It seemed correct. It still has compression (so the valves have to be working I think) and yes it does have spark at the plugs but it does not fire. It is very very like the old days when a car flooded out but without the simple cure. You can smell the fuel being pumped out the exhaust.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what do blocks 92 and 93 tell you?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

my $0.02, it's gotta be a timing issue.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cam adjusters in the right bank?

I seen before adjusters installed incorrectly and causing timing to move the wrong way
does it have a breather hose attached to the intake hose from the air mass sensor to the intake pipe?
how is the coolant temp reading?<ul><li><a href="http://euro-techmotors.com">http://euro-techmotors.com</a</li></ul>
Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if the timing was off enough, it would throw a code.