Did I just kill my valves? Same as in the allroad forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I just kill my valves? Same as in the allroad forum

I just noticed there is this dedicated 2.7T forum.

15k miles ago I paid to have the timing belt done by a reputable shop on the West Coast... over Christmas the thermostat failed so I had very little heat.

Long story, skip to the last paragraph for the actual problem So I started the job again myself and got into a bit of a snag. When I removed the timing covers I found they had been wrongly installed and were worn through by the pulleys and sprockets. What I didn't notice is that bits fell and were channeled on the crank sprocket. When I then turned the crank to align the marks, the cams were slightly ahead of the crank, another turn made it worst, then third turn and I realised something was amiss. (I had not removed the old belt at that point). I checked and found that the bits were lodged in the teeth of the crank sprocket. I suppose that those bits were making the sprocket take more belt than it should and advancing the valve timing.

So the picture with a picture of the crank pulley shows how far in advance I went. That picture was taken with the bar in place so the cams are where they should but the crank is not.Question is, do you think I went far enough to have busted a valve?(or a few) I felt resistance but I was only using a 1/2in ratchet, no extension bar so it was hard to say if it was compression resistance or mechanical.Thanks for the help!

the timing bar is in at that time. Big circle is where the pulley mark is and small oval where the timing mark on the cover is.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I should update!
I timed it right and did a compression check. 150 across the board!! that was without charging the battery and with a cold engine that hadn't run in a week so I guess I'm good to go!
Time to celebrate, I will put it back together tomorrow!
Cheers
David