ESP light!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP light!!!!

I don't know if this is the wrong forum to ask, but here goes....about a week ago I was driving down the freeway and went into tiptronic and downshifted to fourth to pass. As I did this, my ESP light on the dash flickered and remained on for approximately 5 minutes and went out. A couple days ago as I was drining normally, It went on and stayed on for two days. Now this is the part that concerns me. During the time the light was on the transmission seemed to be shifting harder than usual. More noticeable on downshifts whilse in normal drive. When shifting from park to drive, the tranny violently shifts.....jerking the entire car. This is all happening with the light still illuminated. Now today while I was driving, the light went out. Shifting seemed to be smoother and shifting from park to drive was smooth. Does the car's ESP and Transmission work together? I took it in and they said since my car is chipped it's giving erroneous codes and cannot pin point a problem. Doesn't the trans have a separate computer. Does anyone know what/ or has experienced this? I have an 03 A6 2.7T w/ tip Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 PM

You'll need to VAG the car for DTC's , could be a series of things, from any sensor to TCU......
Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: You'll need to VAG the car for DTC's , could be a series of things, from any sensor to TCU......

well they did that at the dealership. Or does the VAG bring up hidden code that dealers don't know about? All I know is that my warranty is up at the end of the month and now my car is breaking. Go figure right!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:27 PM

Default If the car was at the dealership, then why wasn't it fixed? The dealer uses a 5051 or 5052, the VAG

is similar but it's more like reversed engineering. Therefore the VAG wont uncover any other or different codes.
If you still have warranty then let the dealer fix it, why bother.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: If the car was at the dealership, then why wasn't it fixed? The dealer uses a 5051 or 5052, the

well they gave me somne stupid excuse that my aftermarket chip is giving off erroneous codes that they cant figure out. I think It's a crock of BS.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Default How long is the chip in the car and are there any prior events that caused the dealer to react that

way? The burden lies with the dealership to provide enough evidence to claim that your chip is at fault.
IC's or chips are usually address the engine management, so IMHO, find someone with a VAG and scan the car. This will tell you exactly what's wrong and you can have a friendly and professional discussion with the dealer. Usually it would be good to print the DTC and look at the Bentley manual to see what's required to fix it.

Don't try to make an educated guess; get the data you'll need and discuss it with the dealer, ask them to explain how your chip is associated with the cause of ESP failing.

Then mention that you'd planned to buy another Audi here but the way things go.....yadayada....

Once it is fixed try to find a mod friendly dealer, I found that open and honest policy will get you a long way. If all else fails then contact AoA for help, again, politely and professional.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd on all the above. find another dealer and contact AoA asap!!!

the earlier you get your claim/complaint in, the more likely they are to help you.

trust me
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: How long is the chip in the car and are there any prior events that caused the dealer to react t

the chip has been in the car for a few years. It's a GAIC chip! The cars performance as a whole has degraded over the past few months to year. The issue with the ESP has been an issue for about a month. Yah I need to find someone with a VAG. I was stumped when they told me that the ECU was giving off codes. Didn't realize that was associated with ESP. Good info though man, I appreciate it it
Old 07-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: 2nd on all the above. find another dealer and contact AoA asap!!!

do you have any contact info for AoA?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Right off the Audi_USA website.....see link; once you'll get a case number, it's straight forward.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/forms/contact_aoa.htx">http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/forms/contact_aoa.htx</a</li></ul>