Help bad white smoke and repair man might be smokin

Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help bad white smoke and repair man might be smokin

Hi guys first post here. I have a 2000 a6 2.7T. It was cold here yesterday and started out to town when I looked back and smoke was engulfing the street. appeared to be white. So i pulled over quickly and saw that it was dripping oil slowly under the front middle of the engine. Also when I pulled out the dipstick to check the oil level it was pressurized and spit all over the place. I took it to a non audi garage today and the guys said it had oil in both, I believe, intercooler hoses which meant it smoked both turbos. I personally find it hard to believe both went at the same time but hey im no mechanic. I also noticed the smoke gets worse when you romp on it and it warms up. Can you guys give me some heads up on this before I spend 3200 replacing both turbos.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly? sounds like a correct diagnosis to me.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oil leak when cold is tipically(hopefully) a frozen breather hose somewhere. Check these first!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

good idea on breather hose.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default wait for it to warm up first.

I had the same problem, almost threw myself off a bridge cause I thought it was the turbos. I took it to my indy.. it warmed up (20 instead of -5) and he could not find anything wrong. Pull codes and you will find a cat bank that has malfuntioned because of the oil, reset and wait for warmer weather.... or replace breather assembly, and get an updated oil filler cap (orange oil can emblem). You also could have a suction pump problem. Finiki could help you out with that. On the down side, due to the excessive crank case pressure you may have blown a valve gasket (and most assuredly your cam seals). Do not do the turbos, yet.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Frozen breather hose "spider hose" for sure
Old 01-24-2009, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Help bad white smoke and repair man might be smokin

Ok I am really a mopar guy and I got this 2000 audi s4 for my loving wife who used to drive an a4. all of the sudden when it was cold one day she parked the car outside and when I went to move it it barley started and ran very rich with no throttle responce, then it would die. Having somewhat of an understanding of this car I thought that it might be a boost leak so I put it on the rack and had my friend start the car with me underneath to listen for the leak. I did not hear one as the thing was still barley running as if the timming was all jacked up, I pulled off the right side innercooler hose and the dam thing cleaned up and starter running fine, so i put the hose back on and everything was fine for a week and now it has happened agian. but this time I can not make it clean up . Help. the first thing i an thinking is a bad turbo? I Really dont know. thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

boost leak? intake leak? probably need to pressurize to test for leaks.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:16 AM

Default Re: boost leak? intake leak? probably need to pressurize to test for leaks.

how do i pressurize? is there a port someware?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

AWE has a kit, or search the archives for how to make one with stuff from Home Depot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help bad white smoke and repair man might be smokin