High-pitched whine on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High-pitched whine on acceleration

I've been hearing a high pitched whine, cant pinpoint the area. This only occurs when driving, (not revving in Neutral), and while accelerating past 3.5K Rpms. At first I thought it may be an air leak with my CAI, so I tightened down all the clamps. Since Ive had the CAI, I would hear an air-whooshing sound coming from the CAI on accel. AlSO, sporadicaly I feel some hesitation during accel, but at low RPMS, it runs fine. Please help, Ive already dumped thousands in the engine, and just want it to run at status quo for a while until I begin any more upgrades!
TIA, Justin
Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Could be a lot of things....

First off, if you have heard air rushing since you installed your new CAI, I would assume the problem is related to air flow, boost, or lack there of. You could have leaks in the intake, or boost system. You could pay for a pressure test at a shop to check for leaks. Or you can search the forum and learn how to test pressure yourself. You could use a VAG-COM to scan for codes. A positive charge deviation code could indicate that a boost leak has occured as well. And lastly, you do have a chip. You might notice a difference if you were to revert to a stock ecu. Like the other guy said a few threads below, a lot of your problems will go away when you are back to the stock levels of airflow, psi, and fuel injection. I'd hate to give up a chip, but I'd be more concerned with getting it fixed ASAP, or just going back to stock and seeing what changes. Also, VAG-COM for misfires and value blocks, and make sure everything is working as it should be. It's always a process of elimination when diagnosing problems like this.... Good luck
Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the in-depth response. This engine is a P.I.M.A.!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

secondary air injection?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Default This occurs while the engine is warm, and only when revving over 3Krpms.

I just recently had my PCV Valve replaced, possible that they may have made a mistake?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:17 PM

Default I have recently cleaned the MAFS, and I thought that maybe...

I caused a leak in the air intake. So I changed the clamps on the hoses and no change. Still high-pitch whine. Stupid question, but the coolant goes above the max line when warm, could it be spraying out leaking steam out a hose when under pressure?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default PCV valve /= secondary air injection.

tiptronic cars have secondary air injection to help with emissions. at some point, they fail; i'm surmising that you might want to check yours to make sure it isn't your culprit.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

highly doubtful. why do you ask?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

might be a good idea to get your codes scanned, even if it's at a local parts place.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM

process of elimination.

Quick Reply: High-pitched whine on acceleration