Larger Fuel Pump needed - which and how?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Larger Fuel Pump needed - which and how?

Just learned from the tuner that I need a larger fuel pump.
He points at Bosch 044, and line pump.
The plain jane Walbro 255 might do (about 84% flow rate of the Bosch at 4 bar) as well, but its an 'in tank'.

a) what is easier to install?
b) what is better solution (in tank vs. in line)?
c) can someone point me towards installation write ups?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i too would like more info
Old 07-18-2012, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by giotown
i too would like more info
Bosch 044 does not fit Allroad tank.
External should be set up with 'intermediate tank' (ca. 1 liter), which makes it complex.
The Bosch alternative that fits (040) our tank flows MUCH less!
I have not found out what fuel pump the RS6 is using (and what pressure the RS6 runs).

I decided on the Deatschwerks DW300.
The pump works fine, VERY QUIET.

I ordered per suggestion from some the 'universal' version.

Used a DIY as guideline. (Should have read it better; it is not a good idea to do it with lots of gas in the tank, and it is DEFINITELY NOT a good idea to do it with a tank that is totally full). You will a good amount of time soaking your hand in gas and breathing high octane (ahh, good). I refrained from smoking while crouched on the back seat. The work itself was not difficult (mark the orientation/location of basked, lines etc since it can only go back in one way).

The sock did NOT FIT into the allroad basket, there is extremely little room (diameter) to work. I rigged up an 'adapter' from the small diameter (not only 4mm high) inlet nipple of the DW300 to the large diameter hole in the sock (2 rubber hose stuck into each other, than cut off 4mm slice).

VAST sells a kit they claim fits the Allroad. I don't see how (without bending or kinking the sock) their sock (which extends quite a bit over the diameter of the basket, I think 40x100) should fit.

I found socks for the DW300 that are half moon shaped and might fit. They also seem to offer an option with a larger diameter intake nipple; maybe one that matches the stock sock?

Since I am still waiting for my RS6 turbos, and still on stock stage 2, I can't comment on the performance of the pump (but actually have NO doubt based on the flow charts and comparisons to the Bosch 044 and 040, Walbro 255 and other pumps.

If the Bosch 040 is supposedly good for up to 500 hp, the DW300 exceeds the 040 by at least 50% (check flow at high pressure; with raising rate fuel pressure regulator, the flow rate at nominal (in our case 4 bar) pressure is irrelevant. For layout purpose, someone said to add the boost pressure (say 25 psi) to the nominal fuel pressure (4 bar = 58 psi) = pressure the pump has to produce the desired flow: 83 psi.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bought and installed the Deatschwerk DW300.
The kit I bought came with the wrong filter. Big pita, had to make an adapter to fit the stock filter on.

Now, need to upgrade the fuel pump of another Allroad.

Does anybody now what the KIT number is for the DW300 that includes the CORRECT filter for the Allroad?

Or, similarly, a KIT (including filter) that fits the Allroad?

The Bosch 040 with 'kit' is cost prohibitive at $350.

The Walbro 450/465 may be too tall (vertical discharge) for the Allroad tank.