A little help please: Repair shop says I have "Leaky Cam Actuator Seals??? --

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help please: Repair shop says I have "Leaky Cam Actuator Seals??? --

Unfortunately, I found this out when I went to pick my car up from having the Timing Belt (etc.) changed. What the heck is an "Actuator"?Is this something I might be able to fix on my own? w/out a lift? The shop says it'll cost around $600 to fix and I 'll need to leave the car all day with them.
FWIW, I chipped my car yesterday (love it, but I'm concerned the increase in boost will makes things worse.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A little help please: Repair shop says I have "Leaky Cam Actuator Seals??? --

No lift necessary all work top of the engine. Chipping won't effect how much the cam seals leak. It's a bit of work to do them, do a search to find many write-ups with pictures. Some of the best write-ups ref 5V 2.8's which are the pretty much the same as the 2.7T sans turbo plumbing. I replaced the seals when I did my TB. The tip is a bit harder as you have to remove the RH combi valve (standards don't have the secondary air pump system)..
Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, I'll check out the web. Just for clarity -- Is this OK for a beginner DIY'r to try?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Search audiworld.. Not bad if you have basic mechanical abilty,

can read and have a Bentley's. I would also purchasing or have someone with a vag-com lined up just in case.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi doesn't call anything a cam actuator seal, but...

I would interpret that a s a camshaft adjuster gasket, or camshaft chain tensioner gasket. Not a good 1st time DIY job.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Cam adjusters - hydraulically actuated. These ALL leak, sooner or later. Bad design, but it is

just a nuisance issue. This area will not typically leak enough for you to lose significant oil; but the smell will make you sick, esp. in the winter.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yea, I haven't been able to find the term "actuator..." anywhere. They told me it was an all day

job (costing $600). Still not sure why they didn;t take care of this while they were doing the Timing Belt (which is when they noticed the leak)
I may hold off a bit on the fix (and hope it doesn't get worse.
thanks for the thoughts.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Yea, I haven't been able to find the term "actuator..." anywhere. They told me it was an all da

"job (costing $600). Still not sure why they didn;t take care of this while they were doing the Timing Belt"

because it has nothing to do with the T belt job. Well techincally You're supposed to removed the T belt and and removed the cams to do the job, but you don't have to touch the T belt. I have done countless cam chain tensioner seal jobs and don't touch the belt or pull the cams.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: A little help please: Repair shop says I have "Leaky Cam Actuator Seals??? --

I know exactly what you are takling about here. I am researching this issue on my Allroad right now. The seals leak eventually on most 2.7l but there is a reason for it. The forum link below discusses the cause for the leaking seals.

https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/486032.phtml

I brought mine to the Reno Lithia Audi Dealership and they were kind enough to quote me $1,160 to replace just the Cam Tansioner Seals and went so far as to "cut me a break" and do it in 7 hours instead of the 9 hours that it usually takes them. Thanks guys, you are too kind... They then tried to say that while they were in there, they would be happy to change the timing belt for another $2,000. Bastards...

Anyways, the link below has all of the consolidated information for why the seals leak and what you can do about it. personally, I found a good mechanic on Craigslist that has a lot of experience working on the 2.7 who has agreed to walk me through the replacement of the seals, timing belt, water pump and all that good stuff.

There is a lot of great information on this forum regarding the Cam Shaft Tensioner and others are reporting this taking them 2 hours to complete. That should calculate to some good savings over the dealership. Bastards...

https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/486032.phtml<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/486032.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/486032.phtml</a</li></ul>