AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   2.7T V6 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7t-v6-discussion-107/)
-   -   Messed up cam chain timing, bent valves (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7t-v6-discussion-107/messed-up-cam-chain-timing-bent-valves-2879883/)

Boian 03-03-2015 09:02 PM

Messed up cam chain timing, bent valves

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I recently bought a 2001 Audi Allroad 2.7T. The first car I've owned on my own. I got it for a deal because the cam chain tensioner half moon gaskets and valve cover gaskets were leaking. Since I'm a bike mechanic I thought, what the hell, and proceeded to educate myself for 2 weeks about engines. I thought I could handle this. Boy, was I wrong. I did the driver side first and struggled with it for 2 days. First I snapped my cam chain tensioner tool. Bought a new one and compressed it way more slowly. Then I thought I could remove the cams without taking the front bumper off--my mistake, but one I didn't realize until the intake cams were already partially unseated. I'm guessing at this point the cams skipped a tooth. I somehow did the passenger side correctly.

Anyways, I go to start the car and I hear a loud pop followed by a gnashing sound. I let the car run for about 5 seconds then shut it off. By this point oil is pouring out the bottom of the car and the timing belt is drenched in oil. What happened was the driver side tensioner gasket popped out and the same side cam timing was off. After 4 days of working on this dang thing from sunrise to sunset I gave up and called a tow truck, hoping a mechanic could put it back together correctly. Well, $700 later they put it back in time and started it up and I the gnashing sound is still there, along with misfires and the oil pressure light as well. I'm guessing I bent multiple valves in those few seconds.

My question is, what should I do with this car? I love it to death and just bought it for $4000 a few months back. Is it worth it to repair the heads? The mechanic quoted me around $3000. An independent street mechanic quoted me $600 for the labor but I'm not sure if anything will need to be machined. What should I do? Should I bite the bullet and get the head rebuilt? Sell the car to someone who can do it themselves and start over? Or sell it for parts and buy a cheap Subaru until my finances are in better shape?

Yes, I'm an idiot.

kaseysdad14 03-04-2015 04:38 AM

I would look around at the junkyard for any 2.8 v6 and see if I couldby find another head. I got two myself for $80 a piece. If you cant you can always look on ebay. I'd replace the whole head and not worry about the one you have. Then it's just a matter of gaskets, hardware, and getting the timing belt on there right. And anytime you get into something that involves the timing its a good idea to turn the whole engine over two rotations at the crank by hand. You'll feel any binding Before it does damage.

cnctech 03-11-2015 11:35 AM

I am in the process of taking mine apart AGAIN for the third time. I agree with kaseysdad about looking in the junk yard, but around here that would never happen because there are very few audi's, and none with 2.8 5V. i am thinking if the cam was off(by more than 1 tooth) the pistons are toast. Before the junk yard trip, open it up to see the exact damage. If you want to keep the car, I am thinking you need to get a new engine from the junkyard.
one tooth off on the cam is equal to 22 degrees. i found this out the first time I did the tensioners and belt. The belt tensioner is always a problem for me to get it tight enough, but not too tight.
Good Luck.

robsa6 03-26-2015 01:04 AM

The OP needs 2.7 heads not 2.8. I just did the tb and cam gaskets ect on mine and it was a long process. I'd probably look for an engine as it can be had for the same price as rebuilt heads and you don't have to tear apart the engine to get it running. I have a 00 2.7t for sale. The first reply is correct thou in that you don't have to mess with the cam timing to swap heads only the cam gear needs to be lined up and with the lock bar its a no brainer. Put it together and drive it! You already did the damage now you know what not to do@

kaseysdad14 03-30-2015 07:21 AM

He can use either head. The 2.8 and 2.7 are near identical. The 2.8 has a more aggressive cam profile and larger ports. The reason I suggested the 2.8 is because its easier to find a wrecked 2.8.

robsa6 03-31-2015 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by kaseysdad14 (Post 24671224)
He can use either head. The 2.8 and 2.7 are near identical. The 2.8 has a more aggressive cam profile and larger ports. The reason I suggested the 2.8 is because its easier to find a wrecked 2.8.

Agreed but based on the op's story I'd think the simpler the better ( no offence meant here just saying)