need help!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help!!!

we just bought a 1999 audi a6 quattro two days ago and we are having some problems.. we already had to replace the battery because it went dead and would need to be jumped every time it was cranked, ok no big deal. but we are having some problems and we dont know anything about audis and dont have a clue what to do. the car runs very hot and even smokes sometimes when we turn it off but it doesnt show on the gauge that it is hot.. it also smells like oil is burning but we checked the oil and it is not leaking, there is some oil around the engine but we are not sure why because we just bought the car. when you turn the wheel it squeaks and we are pretty sure that is the cv boots but also think we need a whole new axel. also a rattling sound is heard but we do not know why.. the main problem we are worried about is it is leaking transmission fluid as well, just not sure exactly from where in the transmission. we do know that the right fan needs to be replaced because it will not cut on and that may be why it is running hot. but we need any help we can get because we dont know much and we are pretty sure the guy who sold us the car screwed us.. please help!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is a long list.

I am listing a few things that I would start checking with what you are describing.

1) As far as the oil leaking and burning smell' I would guess the valve covers are leaking and the oil is burning on the exhaust manifold.

2) The fan could be causing it to run hot but it could also be a thermostat. check to see if the upper radiator hose feels hot. If its not then it's probably the thermostat. You might just have air in the lines which in that case you need to bleed the system.

Also the fans are controlled by fan control modules. use a voltage meter and check to see if the fan is getting power. find and check the fuses as well. sometimes major problems have simple fixes.

3) The squeaking could be your power steering rack or it could be the belt to the power steering pump. Keep your finger crossed that it's the belt.

4) As far as the transmission goes, I don't know much about them. I believe that there is a transmission fluid line that runs to the front of the car for the trans cooler.

Depending upon where you are located someone on the forum may be able to point you to a good local shop That won't screw you over.

Last edited by 01 2.7t; 08-05-2011 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-05-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank you we will check all of that and see where it gets us!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also went out to the car this morning and it is leaking something clear from a little behind and to the left of my front passanger side tire... ???
Old 08-05-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by andrewandmarissa
we just bought a 1999 audi a6 quattro two days ago and we are having some problems.. we already had to replace the battery because it went dead and would need to be jumped every time it was cranked, ok no big deal. but we are having some problems and we dont know anything about audis and dont have a clue what to do. the car runs very hot and even smokes sometimes when we turn it off but it doesnt show on the gauge that it is hot.. it also smells like oil is burning but we checked the oil and it is not leaking, there is some oil around the engine but we are not sure why because we just bought the car. when you turn the wheel it squeaks and we are pretty sure that is the cv boots but also think we need a whole new axel. also a rattling sound is heard but we do not know why.. the main problem we are worried about is it is leaking transmission fluid as well, just not sure exactly from where in the transmission. we do know that the right fan needs to be replaced because it will not cut on and that may be why it is running hot. but we need any help we can get because we dont know much and we are pretty sure the guy who sold us the car screwed us.. please help!

the oil leak as mentioned b4 is valve cover gaskets AND cam chain tensionors or cam adjuster seal. also check the oil pan gaskets. they all tend to leak

the sound of squeal can be cheaply fixed by greasing parts of suspension. a mechanic will tell you your suspension is not "greasable" but it is. you have to have a small grease gun with a small needle end that will inject grease into the rubber.
my 2001 2.8l a6 did the same thing. we took it to a friend mechanic and greased them and poof gone.

the leaking transmission... is it leaking fast or slow?
i am aware that the quattro's prop shaft seal usually leaks. i replaced my 2.7's earlier this month. if its leaking fast it will need to be taken care of asap as the tranny on this car is not cheap. could be a line or your tranny gaskets. if your car has around 75k miles look into and see if the fluid has been changed.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by andrewandmarissa
I also went out to the car this morning and it is leaking something clear from a little behind and to the left of my front passanger side tire... ???
it could be water. has the ac been on? if its clear it most probably the ac. that is normal. no worries.