New audi owner - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New audi owner - advice?

I just purchased a 2004 a6 2.7t and after spending a couple of days reading posts I am terrified of all the issues of this car and cost of repairs.

The car currently has 67000 miles and running strong. Only things I've noticed is leaking valve cover gaskets and looks like the oil lines to or from turbos may be leaking as well. There is a clunk in the front end when I turn at lower speeds but both myself and my mechanic looked through the front end and couldn't find anything noticably worn that would do that.

I read the new owner advice and purchased a timing belt maintenance kit from vast, was going to gut my pipes and make my own "piggies", transmission fluid and filter, oil, air filter, and plugs.

Now, just today, I am reading about possible problems with the tiptronic and the torque converter? Is there something I can do to maintain this or is it supposedly inevitable that I am going to have a catastrophic transmission failure around 100K or sooner? If it does go out is it usually the torque converter or the actual transmission?

I had planned on doing the timing belt and the valve cover gaskets myself. I was also going to do the pipes at the same time I am sending in the cluster to get the LED fixed. I like doing repairs when I have access to good information. I purchased a Bentley manual last night.

Any suggestions? Should I resell the car while it’s still running well?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont read so much

I went through the same thing when my wife drove home an S4. She figured it was a fun family car. Yellow, 4 doors, lowered and cute. I knew nothing Audi. I was like holly crap, v6, 2 turbos, 6spd, gosh honey I love you, but looks like trouble, I did the reading just like you. Kept money aside for part. We kept 3 cars up until last month assuming the Audi would need some work. It does need work but...it sure runs good and its fun. Take it go a good mechanic and they can give you a list. But dont read too much. fix the most important stuff first. take your time, enjoy it. Sometimes cars with 70K need more work than cars with 120K. Dont let the Audi paranoia get to ya. Cars are way to complicated and bust.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

These are fabulous cars, give them respect and they will return you to home every time. Preventative maintenance is your best friend. Audi has the maintenance schedules set up pretty much spot on except for the odd things, fluid replacements for the engine and transmission. Replace your engine oil and filter every 5000km. Use Approved oil and good quality filters( mann, Mayle). transmission fluid should be replaced about every 20,000-30,000. If you haven't yet, get Ross techs Vag com. You will find some fun things you can do to( you can set the comfort control modual to allow you to use your key fobs to raise/close and lower windows.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I wouldn't be to worried i just purchased a 03 a6 2.7 with 148xxx and it drives like it has 48k. few minor issues but nothing to worry me
Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just bought an 03 Allroad....106k on it...drives and runs like I just drove it off the lot new...I was caught up in all the hype about German cars too until i saw the carfax and everything was done when it needed to be done..plus more....I have owned Evolution lancers and high powered DSM's...and this Allroad is by far the most fun car Ive owned..Like any other car set money aside...treat it with respect...and live life baby all day!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slowguy
I just purchased a 2004 a6 2.7t and after spending a couple of days reading posts I am terrified of all the issues of this car and cost of repairs.

The car currently has 67000 miles and running strong. Only things I've noticed is leaking valve cover gaskets and looks like the oil lines to or from turbos may be leaking as well. There is a clunk in the front end when I turn at lower speeds but both myself and my mechanic looked through the front end and couldn't find anything noticably worn that would do that.

I read the new owner advice and purchased a timing belt maintenance kit from vast, was going to gut my pipes and make my own "piggies", transmission fluid and filter, oil, air filter, and plugs.

Now, just today, I am reading about possible problems with the tiptronic and the torque converter? Is there something I can do to maintain this or is it supposedly inevitable that I am going to have a catastrophic transmission failure around 100K or sooner? If it does go out is it usually the torque converter or the actual transmission?

I had planned on doing the timing belt and the valve cover gaskets myself. I was also going to do the pipes at the same time I am sending in the cluster to get the LED fixed. I like doing repairs when I have access to good information. I purchased a Bentley manual last night.

Any suggestions? Should I resell the car while it’s still running well?
The TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) in these Audi's is unfortunately a big problem. My 2.7T Tip had to have it changed at 125K & in the shop I've seen countless P0741 codes come up before. What happened is Audi designed this one internal seal horribly. The clutch solenoid stays open to prevent actual internal transmission damage. Just hold tight, it may never go bad (probably will though) when and if you get the P0741 code get the TCC changed ASAP. When whoever does it just investigate the trans fluid, if there are metal shavings in it your trans is probably damaged. When I replaced mine I actually saw the melted seal in the trans pan, but had no metal fragments. Make sure if you get it done to purchase an re-manufactured unit with an updated seal. At our shop we charge $1,300 for labor. We have an Audi wizard here who can do it in less than 10 hours, many shops charge more, its a very tedious job that requires incredible knowledge of Audi's so make sure if you ever have to get it done, that the shop knows what they're doing. Most indie Audi mechanics have done this job before as its extremely common. Audi should have recalled this but have not somehow. Bastards!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Or.. for as much money as you are going to spend or getting the TC replaced and or rebuilding the tranny? Why not just do away with the problem and get a 6speed manual tranny installed?
Both, Bryan www.@Audis4parts.com & Scotty at Scotty@advancedautomotion.com have an extensive knowledge and can either sell you a 6 speed tranny kit for a DIY or, they can replace it for you, again, for about the same amount you would pay to rebuild your Tip.

I Have purchased items from both and are pleasure to deal with.

PS: If you are not wanting to replace the tranny but rather salvaged it, BUT need a better/stronger Torque Converter? talk to Sam over at www.517trans.com He will get you situated with an awesome TC for the 2.7T Platform. I have also purchased a TC from Sam, and yes, he is VERY knowledgeable, as well as a great person overall.

Either way, good luck...