Oil in intake side intercooler hoses

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in intake side intercooler hoses

I have a situation where my temp gauge always reads cold. (Dash was replaced under warranty last year so I think the gauge is ok) I am thinking it is a thermostat. My mechanic says its 6 hours to do it. Have to remove intercoolers, might as well do belt(s) at the same time, etc. However, once they started removing the intake side intercooler hoses there was oil inside them and he was concerned. This doesn't seem normal to me either. Is this the seal on the oil turbos that is bad? Teh car has 94,000 miles. Could a sticking bypass valve cause this?

Thanks for the info
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Oil in intake side intercooler hoses

Are the turbos original? The timing belt has never been done? You don't have to remove the intercoolers to do the timing belt... If the turbos have 94,000 it is likely that the passenger side turbo is getting toward the end of its life. It may not go bad for awhile, but start thinking about what you wish to replace them with... The thermostat is often replaced as part of the timing belt service, but the guage always reading cold doesn't seem to point towards a bad thermostat--I think more likely the sensor is bad, or a bad wiring connection. A non-operational thermostat more likely would result in an overheated engine situation.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Oil in intake side intercooler hoses

Doesn't thermostat fail in the open position? The turbos are original as far as I know. I bought the car with 38K. So if I take it in for timing belt service they can do the thermostat more efficiently then? Mybe replace the turbos at the same time? Tho' this seems expensive and I don't see any smoke during driving, even under full boost conditions. I should at tleast have th esensor and connection checked. Anyone have an idea of what I will be investing for new turbos, timing belt service and any other stuff ( bypass, diverter valves etc.) if I take it in? I've owned the car for three years but have not had to service anything a wheel bearing and the new instrument panel under warranty. The dealer is really bad so I have taken it elsewhere whenever possible.

Thanks to all who can advise!!!

Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The oil isn't unusual, and it doesn't mean that you need turbos replaced yet, but with the mileage,

you have, you should have the timing belt service done for safety's sake. Thermostat and water pump should be replaced as part of that service. Prices vary greatly, depending on who does these things--timing belt and turbo replacement. For the turbos, how much power do you want, and how much are you willing to spend. Dealer prices for timing belt may be $1200-1500, and $3800-4200 for stock replacement turbochargers. Independent shops may save you hundreds, if not more than a thousand dollars when adding both of these services together. As far as the thermostat, it is only closed when the engine is cold--as soon as the engine heats the thermostat opens, and stays that way, until cooling below whatever the temp rating for the t-stat may be. Does your heat work properly? If so, it is another clue that your cooling system is working properly and that it is only the temp guage, temp sensor, or a problem with the connection between the two. I would replace it only in conjunction with the timing belt service--I don't think that it is worth the cost otherwise. Where are you located?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, and just so you know, turbo replacement and timing belt is two entirely different ballgames...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Default It's most likely oil coming up through the breather valve attached to the Y pipe.

It happens when you overfill the oil even the smallest amount.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 AM

Default Re: It's most likely oil coming up through the breather valve attached to the Y pipe.

That's a relief. My mechanic, who is not familiar with Audis, thought it meant the seals in the turbos were bad. Sounds like I need timing belt service right away, do the water pump and themostat at the same time and check the sensor and conection to the temp gauge. And start thinking about turbos while I keep an eye on the tail pipes for smoke. Do I have that right? Anybody recommend a good repair warranty company for the turbos eventually?

Thanks to all!!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 PM

Default Re: The oil isn't unusual, and it doesn't mean that you need turbos replaced yet, but with the milea

I definately will do the timing belt service right away. In fact I have been driving a different vehicle until I get the belt changed. I am in the Milwaukee area but have had really bad service from the dealer here so don't want to go there. Does anyone know of a reputable shop in SE Wisconsin? Even as far as Madison if it means being able to avoid local dealer.
The heat works fine on manual but it seems the sensor is telling the AC system the engine is cold so it will not blow on auto setting. Also I noticed my mileage going down about 4 mpg. Maybe from running rich because sensor is telling the engine it is cold eroneously?

I've seen some peoplwe mention a belt replacememnt kit that has all the parts to do the service. Are these a good way to go? Who sells them?

thanks again to all!!
Old 01-26-2008, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Belt replacement kit "blauparts.com"

I had a good experiense with blauparts.com they were curtious and the tools were first class.
I had 100000 miles on the Allroad and when I changed the timing belt I noticed oil in the intercooler hose for the left turbo, the right side was totally dry, when I used a flashliht to look into the hose there were metal particles mixed in the oil. So I ended up changing both turbos, after removal I noted that the left one had a lot more play, radial and axial,than the right one.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Belt replacement kit "blauparts.com"

Thanks for the lead on Blauparts.com Dumb question- where were the metal parts in the oil in the intercooler hose from? was it from the turbo bearing, impellers or ???

Quick Reply: Oil in intake side intercooler hoses