Oil leak on drivers' side & oil in the bi-pipes leading to intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak on drivers' side & oil in the bi-pipes leading to intercoolers

Hello I am currently replacing the timing belt on my '01 Allroad (tip, 2.7T, ~100k miles).

I noticed two things I have not seen on my previous Audis and current '01 S4:

1. oil leak engine left side: not exactly sure where it is coming from but it seems to drip through the engine mount, down on the sway bar and then on the floor; trying to localize the leak is hard because of visibility. It does not fell/look/smell like engine oil (may be tranny?) I am hoping by opening the front while doing the timing belt I could be more useful. I read other threads mentioning issues with valve cover leaks. Could that be the issue? If so, can one replace a gasket without replacing the engine? If it's a head gasket, same question as above.

2. While removing the bi-pipe and throttle boot (I am replacing them while I am in there) I noticed there was some oil in there and my heart started to panic a little. I don't a full understanding of turbo mechanics and I wonder if it is normal to have oil in some piping that seem to be (at least I thought) for air intake / cooling only. If this is not related to turbos, could that be related to my issue/leak in para 1 above?

Thanks a million in advance for all's your help.

Ginga52
Old 12-25-2009, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could easily be the cam seals or valve covers. they can be replaced easily, car in engine. doubt it's a head gasket.

normal to have oil in bipipe and throttle body boot - at worst, you might need to replace your spider hose (PCV system)
Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a feeling it may a torn engine mount because (now I realize) I hoisted the car from transmission belly rather than the crossmember and my assumption is that the weight of the car may have been all on those engine mounts and one of them may have torn and that's why I saw oil (pinkish) dripping on the garage floor.

Questions:

1. Is it possible it's a torn mount which needs to now be replaced?

2. if so, how can this replacement be done "simply" without having to remove the entire engine?

3. what are the impacts of a bad mount on driving safety, component wear etc... would anyone highly suggest i get it replaced if the procedure is too complicated and time consuming?

I currently am done with the timing belt change and the spark plugs. While I have everything apart, this could be the opportunity to replace the mount (if it needs to be replaced) -- and possibly the other side, if this is recommended.

Thanks for the help all!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

1. quite possible, though I *thought* they contained purple fluid, but at any rate, couldn't hurt to pull them

2. I believe Issam from 034 posted up a replacement DIY guide on audizine or here, can't remember, on how to replace them without removing the engine - good idea to use the search function

3. how bad is your drivetrain movement now?

and yes, replace both of them at the same time - look into 034 motor mounts
Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 034 Street Density motor & trans mounts and I think they're awesome and would absolutely recommend them over the OEM RS4 mounts (which are actually more expensive), BUT..... and it's a pretty big BUT, DO NOT TRUST THAT DIY GUIDE from 034! I know my was around a garage/B5 S4 and that's not even a moderately easy job to do in a home garage. It took my brother, a friend (both mechanics) around 8 hrs to get the 1 mount in with that guide before we gave up on it until the next day and brought it to the 1's shop to put up on the lift to do the other one. I think the 034 guide is was written for a 2.8 A4 that doesn't have all the extra turbo plumbing and other stuff jammed into the engine bay that our S4's do. That job is a monsterous headache that you don't need, take my advice and just take to a shop to have the mounts installed.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i always wondered how much truth there was to that writeup...
Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same issue just this night... The driver side intercooler pipe that runs underneith was saturated in what looks to be mud/oil residue...

I cleaned the hell out of it, and would like to know what I can do to provent this from happening again

Furthermore, the reason I removed it was becuase my oil filter was stuck and I had to manually tear is apart to remove the filter. I think that I may have damnaged the reciever assemply that the oil filter is connected to. Does anyone know that that is called? I place a new filter on and it fits snug, but as soon as the motor is running, it drains a qt a second out from it. Again, what is the assembly that the oil filter itself connects to called and or a part number to begain its install?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

replace your PCV system and do the Istook valve cover mod

and, the oil filter is connected to the oil cooler, I believe
Old 01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by quickaudi:STFA
replace your PCV system and do the Istook valve cover mod

and, the oil filter is connected to the oil cooler, I believe

what's the istook mod???
Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by phukwatyaherd
I have 034 Street Density motor & trans mounts and I think they're awesome and would absolutely recommend them over the OEM RS4 mounts (which are actually more expensive), BUT..... and it's a pretty big BUT, DO NOT TRUST THAT DIY GUIDE from 034! I know my was around a garage/B5 S4 and that's not even a moderately easy job to do in a home garage. It took my brother, a friend (both mechanics) around 8 hrs to get the 1 mount in with that guide before we gave up on it until the next day and brought it to the 1's shop to put up on the lift to do the other one. I think the 034 guide is was written for a 2.8 A4 that doesn't have all the extra turbo plumbing and other stuff jammed into the engine bay that our S4's do. That job is a monsterous headache that you don't need, take my advice and just take to a shop to have the mounts installed.

try this guide

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=13646037

done on a 2000 A6 2.7tt

i just changed the mount on the driver's side and this was bang on for the instructions. I have also an S4 2.7tt and this instruction set also applies to my B5.

good luck -- it took me 5.5 hours to do (but include some time to change replace the radiator)

by the way you may see in the thread a long version or a short version -- debate related to dropping the compressor or not; it's only 3 bolts and will make your life much easier when doing the drivers side.

Quick Reply: Oil leak on drivers' side & oil in the bi-pipes leading to intercoolers