Proper Turbo Use and Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Turbo Use and Maintenance

Hello folks,

What is the proper way to use your turbo's, I know you are supposed to keep your engine running for 2 minutes before you turn it off. Are you supposed to let it heat up aswell?, if so, then how long? What are any other ways to prolong the life of the turbo's, other then 710N's and TBB. I have 70k on my current 2001 S4 turbo's. Any idvice will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 07:34 AM

Default I actually had this talk with my Audi mechanic this weekend....

he is a 23 yr Audi mech. He believes that Audi is smarter than we think. I dont know if I completly agree with his thinking on this issue. He says just turn it off, walk away. If the engine needs to it will turn on the fans and run coolant through the system (supposedly able to do this up to 3 times) depending on the engine temp.

He said there is no need for a turbo timer (like leaving your car on for 1 or 2 minutes), Audi is smarter than a turbo timer. I personally wont run my S hard and turn it off right away. I always go easy on it for a few miles before turning the engine off.

As far as letting your engine warm up, thats definetely a good way to help the life of your turbo's. I personally never drive the car right away after cold start, always let it warm for a few. Thats just me and my KO3's lasted pretty long for how hard the car was driven since purchase and all mods. There are many who have probably gotten more out of the stockers, maybe do a search for tips from others.

Im guessing they are original K03's from factory, good luck with the life. Hope yours last longer than mine. Both of mine blew over a year ago and its been sitting ever since. Now engine is out and Stg3- is in the works.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default common sense goes a long way here.... at cold start up, wait for the engine oil to warm

up before really getting into the boost. At shut down, if you've been riding the turbos hard, let them spool down and cool down for a couple of miles before you reach your destination. Otherwise, just let the car idle for 10 seconds or so when you reach your destination, then shut it off and walk away.

FWIW this is the proceedure I've followed on my last two cars, both turbocharged. One was a Saab 900T and this process served me well, when I got rid of the car at 170K miles it was running strong with orignal engine and turbos still intact. My 2.7T now has 73K on it (it is a '00 and yes it has the K03s) and runs quite strong.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An ounce of prevention....

Let the car idle until the door chime goes off (about a minute) after hard driving. Casual around town driving is a good enough cool-down.

Add an after run coolant temp sensor...leaves the aux fan for a while longer.

Zero boost until the oil temp is up.

This is my mantra... It worked with K03's for 60k and I use the same technique with K04's. My old K03's were fine when they came out btw.

I do have a Turbo Timer...but rarely use it. In the off chance that I am hard on the car and need to shut it off abruptly without a short casual drive prior, I hit the TT for a minute or so.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Agree with the others here - no boost until oil temp reaches 175+ and drive easy last few miles

after using a lot of boost. You don't need to sit with the car idling for long periods to warm-up/cool-down. Just use common sense and don't beat on it when it's cold or shut it down immediately after hard run. Use full synth oil and change as often as you can afford or care to. Always use good quality oil filter like Mann or Mahle - stay away from Fram crapola and the like. You get what you pay for in auto parts and oil, IMO.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default incorrect info on the coolant running through the system.

The stock Audi afterrun coolant temp switch is set at something like 225 or 250 F, which your system would never see unless you are overheating. Unless you swap to the one from a Eurovan, it will never run after you turn the car off.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Re: incorrect info on the coolant running through the system.

Hello, thanks for the responses everyone. Mr. Quickaudi, I had a question for you. You said that the car should never see temperatures of 225C. My car seen thats very often, and I don't even drive it rough. What does this mean?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

He was talking water temp not oil temp..
Old 10-05-2006, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually, I put 250 C for water temp when I meant F. I corrected the original post.