Radiator removal for timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator removal for timing belt change

I'm in the process of changing my timing belt, water pump, etc...on my 2004 A6 2.7T and am stuck at this point with the removal of the radiator. There are two hoses that are connected to the radiator underneath on passenger side (see pic). I started to unscrew the joining nut and an oil like substance came out. What are these lines and is it recommended to detach them to allow the complete removal of the radiator or leave the lines attached and pivot the radiator and support out of the way as suggested by the write-up from https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng63.shtml. I kind of prefer to completely remove the radiator to have more room to maneuver. Plus, I'm not too comfortable using something like a bucket to support it with kids and dogs around. Lastly, for the upper and lower radiator hoses, does the retaining clip need to be removed for the hoses to separate or simply pulled out as far as it can go? Thanks for the help in advance! Rob
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2012, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

If you are ONLY doing a timing belt interval, I would leave them and swing it out like the Tech article suggests. Even When We removed the engine and tranny on my first allroad, we still just swung it out of the way.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default radiator removal

i agree no need to remove those lines i used that same write up to the t and had no problems infact i took the whole radiator core support out and put it in the back yard unhook the power steering lines right at the radiator and that whole support comes off then there is no worrys about kids and dogs hit me up if you need help
Old 09-08-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I ended up removing those lines and also similar ones at the driver side intercooler. So, finally got the radiator completely off and clear view of the timing items. Just bought the timing kit from ECS with Gates belt and also bought the timing tool on eBay to do it right since its my first time. Still looking to make sure my coolant leak/burst was from the pump or somewhere else. Does anyone have a Bently pic of all the locations of the radiator hoses? I should have a Bently but I figure with the help of fellow Audi forum users that I can get by. I'll post picks of the coolant mess soon.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes you should just to have in a pinch. good job getting that off while you are in there you should upgrade to a high flow fan from vast to negate the clutch fan locking up and killing the rad they are only a couple hundred bucks well worth it trust me it sucks and they work really well
Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RT2.7T
I ended up removing those lines and also similar ones at the driver side intercooler. So, finally got the radiator completely off and clear view of the timing items. Just bought the timing kit from ECS with Gates belt and also bought the timing tool on eBay to do it right since its my first time. Still looking to make sure my coolant leak/burst was from the pump or somewhere else. Does anyone have a Bently pic of all the locations of the radiator hoses? I should have a Bently but I figure with the help of fellow Audi forum users that I can get by. I'll post picks of the coolant mess soon.
Does this help? http://elsaweb.spaghetticoder.org/do...#x-fhf3nt18rdb

Along with : http://elsaweb.spaghetticoder.org/do....89/25588153/3
Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only moved the lock carrier to service position and had all the space needed to change the drive belt, timing belt, water pump and thermostat. Just needed a particle board on a strong box to support the radiator and the lock carrier. I also changed all cam and head cover seals in this position.

There were no need to touch the radiator at all. I did drain the coolant by removing the coolant temperature sensor at the bottom left corner (facing the engine).
Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Is this a coolant valve cover leak that needs a gasket replaced?

Thanks for the help. In getting the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, etc...removed in hopes to find the reason for a overheated motor and coolant explosion in the engine bay...I find what looks like the right side head gasket may have been the part that gave way to the hot pressure. I'm hoping that someone can help with identifying if that's what it looks like from the pics that an overheated engine can cause the head or is it called the valve cover gasket to leak coolant. thanks again for the help as I need it now more than ever.
Attached Images   
Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better shoot pictures with a SLR on manual focus. The two pictures are the head/valve cover. There is no water inside the cover, only engine oil.

My suggestions are:

1) The easy one first, thoroughly inspect you coolant reservoir. If the return line cracks, coolant will only leak when the engine is hot.

2) When the engine was hot, did the radiator fan run? If not, I know of 2 coolant temperature sensors, one at the bottom left (facing the engine) radiator pipe and one at the end of the tube from the reservoir to the back of the engine. They both use the same kind/size of clip and the socket is green. Just replace them.

Good luck

--mc
Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the help. I'll check out your suggestions this weekend and hopefully the leak is somewhere there. When the car overheated, the coolant was basically pouring out of the bottom but I couldn't see anything with the bottom plastic cover there. I'm told that the head maybe warped or the head gasket failed. Does that mean coolant can spew out from the head and if so, does anyone have a picture of what it would look like?

Quick Reply: Radiator removal for timing belt change