Replacing front crankshaft seal & camshaft seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing front crankshaft seal & camshaft seals

I'm about to buy a timing belt kit. Some of the come with camshaft seals and the front timing belt seal.

Interestingly, Blau's kit comes with these, yet their site recommends against replacing the crank seal if it's not leaking. Apparently, when loosing the crank bolt, the entire pulley can turn, destroying the key on the under side. It seems to me that I could reduce the risk of this by holding the pulley in place with a large pipe wrench, preventing it from turning while I remove the bolt.

http://www.blauparts.com/audi_techni...t_pulley.shtml

While I have this engine apart, I sure would like to spend an extra hour or two replacing as much as makes sense. On the other hand, I need to be smart and avoid destroying my engine!

I found a local guy who's been kind of enough to volunteer use of his bar and puller, but I discovered that Blau has a tool rental kit that sems to include everything needed for the removing and installing the crankshaft seal and the two camshaft seals. I'd imagine I'd need to be super careful to avoid turning the cams while when working on the camshaft seals, since the bar couldn't be on during that procedure.

Has anyone done the seals? Any feedback or advice?

Thank you.