Stranded by massive coolant leak - 2.7T allroad

Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stranded by massive coolant leak - 2.7T allroad

I recently bought a 2001 allroad with 2.7T motor and 6-speed dual-range gearbox. It has done just 80,000km or 50,000 miles.

I had the ecu flashed with a GIAC St I tune last week.

I noticed a slight smell of coolant after a trip a couple of days ago. Today the weather was much warmer (almost 30C or 85F) and after a short run I parked the car. I returned to find a fair-sized pool (perhaps a pint or two) of liquid seeping out under the RH front door. I drove to a mechanic (maybe 5 miles), and just before I got there the low coolant light came on.

As soon as I parked and switched off, fluid could be seen running under the car. The engine was bubbling and steaming a little. The coolant reservoir was empty and we added liquid (water only at this stage) which came straight out the bottom of the car. When we got the undertray off, most of the fluid seemed to be falling roughly under the LH headlamp - ie at the front LH of the engine. The mechanic couldn't see much (it IS an Audi...) and couldn't locate the main leak at all but he thought he saw some fluid leaking at the back of the engine near the heater hoses. There was a relatively small amount coming falling below the RH rear of the engine.

From the location of the fluid leakage described above, does this sound consistent with auxiliary/secondary water pump failure? Is it possible there could be a simultaneous failure of the plastic heater hose T-piece?

I know this has been regularly written up, but wanted to narrow down the possibilities before planning my response.

Thanks all (copied from allroad forum to maximise coverage)
Old 12-17-2011, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be similar to my stranded 1.8T: Audi in their infinite wisdom has chosen to use plastic connectors with retainer clip for the lower (and upper) coolant hose connections to the radiator (instead of a simple hose clamp).

In my case: lower popped off. Its a bitch to get in on FULLY seated. Took me 1 hour ON A HOIST, using 2 guys pushing plus hammper/chisel on the plastic shoulder of the connector to finally get the retaining clip to snap in top AND bottom.

Partial seating holds fine (tricking you into 'all ok') at first glance/test. Was good for 1000+ miles initially.

But as Murphy Law dictates: hose came off when 300 miles from home (only trip longer than 50 miles in 2 years)!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 6 spd dual range gear box?

Originally Posted by kermac
I recently bought a 2001 allroad with 2.7T motor and 6-speed dual-range gearbox.
Dual Range? Describe what you have. What makes it a 'dual range'?

I have an Allroad with 6 spd. Shifts are getting slower and harder, likely synchros worn (160k now). Looking for good used gear box (repair estimates so far very high, up to $3k for material (I remove/install).
Old 12-17-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Might be similar to my stranded 1.8T: Audi in their infinite wisdom has chosen to use plastic connectors with retainer clip for the lower (and upper) coolant hose connections to the radiator (instead of a simple hose clamp).

In my case: lower popped off. Its a bitch to get in on FULLY seated. Took me 1 hour ON A HOIST, using 2 guys pushing plus hammper/chisel on the plastic shoulder of the connector to finally get the retaining clip to snap in top AND bottom.

Partial seating holds fine (tricking you into 'all ok') at first glance/test. Was good for 1000+ miles initially.

But as Murphy Law dictates: hose came off when 300 miles from home (only trip longer than 50 miles in 2 years)!!!

You wouldnt have that problem if you would just put some silicone lubricant on the oring and plastic parts inside and on the radiator. Goes right on with ease. I take these apart daily at work....havent had one blow off or had to spend more than 1 minute attatching it.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
You wouldnt have that problem if you would just put some silicone lubricant on the oring and plastic parts inside and on the radiator. Goes right on with ease.
That was likely our mistake on the first time install.
But last time, everything was lubed thick, including O rings.
Still needed a tremendous amount of force (could get top and bottom snapped in with 2 guys under the car pushing. Only hammer help finally snapped the bottom in securely). The lower hose was new. The radiator as far as I know is original.

Note: Just to be safe, I had also bought new radiator (if that parts was bad/worn/etc). And the new hose snapped onto the new radiator much more easily (by hand).

Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
That was likely our mistake on the first time install.
But last time, everything was lubed thick, including O rings.
Still needed a tremendous amount of force (could get top and bottom snapped in with 2 guys under the car pushing. Only hammer help finally snapped the bottom in securely). The lower hose was new. The radiator as far as I know is original.

Note: Just to be safe, I had also bought new radiator (if that parts was bad/worn/etc). And the new hose snapped onto the new radiator much more easily (by hand).

oh, haha, pull the clip so its in the unlock position, then easily push it on, then just push the clip back down to lock it on,
Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
oh, haha, pull the clip so its in the unlock position, then easily push it on, then just push the clip back down to lock it on,
That's how we did it.