Timing Belt Replacement Question

Old 04-01-2014, 02:58 PM
RWH
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement Question

Almost ready to replace the original timing belt on my 2001 allroad 2.7t (80k miles) and I have a question about locking the cams. I have the driveshaft at TDC, but the cams are both about 15% short from rotating to the horizontal position...where I can then install the cam locking tool. I was surprised that the cams didn't line up at TDC (with the large hole on the cam on the inward sides). Question: Should I rotate the crankshaft off of TDC to align the cams? OR, should I take the current belt off and turn the cams to the locking position while keeping the crankshft at TDC? Not sure which way would be correct. Can the 2.7T operate when the timing is apparantly off by this much? Car ran fine and I thought this cam locking process would be straightforward. Any words of advice before I ruin something badly?? Thank You!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

It is currently not timed properly.

Use the cam lock tool to lock the cams at TDC, remove the timing belt, then slowly rotate the crankshaft to TDC and lock it in place. Now, replace the timing belt and adjust the tensioner to tighten the belt. Remove the cam lock and crankshaft lock and rotate the crankshaft by hand a couple of times to ensure that there is no interference and that the timing at TDC has not changed.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 AM
RWH
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
It is currently not timed properly.

Use the cam lock tool to lock the cams at TDC, remove the timing belt, then slowly rotate the crankshaft to TDC and lock it in place. Now, replace the timing belt and adjust the tensioner to tighten the belt. Remove the cam lock and crankshaft lock and rotate the crankshaft by hand a couple of times to ensure that there is no interference and that the timing at TDC has not changed.
Thanks for the quick response. FYI...ECS Tuning just responded to me and suggested that the misalignment could be caused by a bad tensioner or roller, or that the camshaft gear or pully was misaligned (installed by the factory so this scenario seems unlikley). I'll do as you suggest and anxious to see if the car runs even better when properly timed!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did the car run ok? By TDC your going from the mark on the balencer that lines up with the arrow on the timing cover. I would just make it so the cam bar can go on it and correct the crank when preparing to reinstall the belt.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 04-02-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 PM
RWH
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Job Completed

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Did the car run ok? By TDC your going from the mark on the balencer that lines up with the arrow on the timing cover. I would just make it so the cam bar can go on it and correct the crank when preparing to reinstall the belt.
Finished this weekend and car is running fine. I think it was a weak tensioner that allowed the belt to slip on the driveshaft gear when I was initially setting it at TDC. BTW...Belt was completely shot at 80k miles. Had gouges and worn spots in several locations. Glad that job is done and now a few others to deal with.