Timing belt will NOT tension

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt will NOT tension

Went stage 3 recently, finished right before Waterfest (7/19). Did the complete timing belt job from ECS with cam seals, new belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, water pump, etc. Ran fine to waterfest during break-in.

About a week later, it starts making noises that sound like its coming from the heads. We take timing belt cover off and the belt has some slack in it. We contemplate whether it needs manual tensioning because its accentric, or if its a faulty tensioner. We decide to manual tighten the tensioner roller and see if its ok. It works for about 2hours, and about 6 pulls, then it makes the noise again.

So I ordered a new tensioner. We put it on last night, it works for a few pulls, then I blow a hose off :banghead: . When I stop to see what hose it is, its making the noise AGAIN. So I take the car apart again tonight and the belt is loose as hell. What are we doing wrong? We've manually tensioned it, auto tensioned it with a new tensioner, and still the same result.

It doesn't look like its skipping a tooth, but when you hand crank it you can tell it jumps at a certain point, just not to the next tooth. There is no evidence (the way its running, idling, noises) that indicate any bent valves or anything, so I think its just tight enough to where it won't mess up timing. Any thoughts? I'm exhausted from taking the car apart and putting it back together 4 times.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Timing belt will NOT tension

I just did my TB and the instructions were very explicit about being very careful with the tensioner. The instructions I had said to compress it over the time span of 2 to 5 minutes...

I assume you used the cam lock tool when you replaced the cam seals and tensioned the belt while the cam sprockets were still loose.

That is all that I can think of.

So how long does it take you now to break the front end down?

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Second that - make sure your cam sprockets are free-wheeling when you tension the belt

of course, your cams have to be locked in place with the lock bar.

follow torque specs for tensioning belt and tightening up the sprokets again.

if it happens again, replace the tensioner.

for a sanity check - compare length of old belt to new belt while you have it off.