timing check

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM
CBP
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing check

Hey howdy hey

I am in the middle of a timing belt cam seal/valve gasket overhaul on a 2001 2.7L Allroad.
I have read that since this is a zero clearance vehicle you should turn the engine over a few revolutions to make sure timing is correctly set. This seems like a good idea but what should I be looking for? if timing belt is off a tooth or the cams are a roller off will there be a valve hitting piston noise?

Thanks to all those who have posted information and pictures -- it is a great help when you are working with a manual that is worthless for this level of repair. I have a been a Saab guy for many years and they were certainly quirky but intriguing before GM ruined them. The Allroad is much more complex then any of the 900's I rebuilt --- I hope this repair will keep it going for a while sans des problems!

Thanks

Chad
Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you should be using the correct tools. To properly set cam timing, and proper belt tension by breaking the pulleys free to spin on the cams and the lock bar in place while tensioning. If you just mark the cams and crank and just try to get it right, it wont be. But not by enough to bend valves, just wont be 100%. I have seen plenty of these and other vw audi engines a few teeth off and just run terrible. They are interference, but not 0 clearance.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM
CBP
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Prospeed

I did rent all the relavant tools from Blau.... car purrs like kitten now.
Some of the other tasks like getting the bumper trim to mesh well or the parts you have to remove in the back firewall area were the more challanging aspects to the repair.

Regards

C
Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats good it went smoothly. I really enjoy doing timing belts on these engines. Just cant get any easier. Its really the best way to do a timing belt. No possibility for error, and no worrying about being a tooth off. What on the front bumper gave you trouble? I find the A6/AllRoad cars much easier than older A4's.