Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Engines > 2.7T V6 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tolerance on timing belt alignment

Tolerance on timing belt alignment

Old 07-03-2017, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Tolerance on timing belt alignment

Hi folks,

I have just replaced the timing belt on my 2.7T but am a bit worried that I may be off by a tooth or two. I locked the crank at TDC and held the camshafts in place with a lock bar during the process. After I was done, however, I hand-turned the engine to double-check my work and when I return to TDC the two cam lock tabs are not in a perfect line.

I can put the lock bar back on, but I have to turn the passenger-side cam a degree or two in order to click it into place. Is that uncommon or do I need to pull the belt and try again?

I've attached a picture of the front of the engine before I pulled the pin on the tensioner (yes, I did pull the pin before turning the engine).

What say 'ye?

Thanks,
Reeves
Old 02-05-2018, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If ever unsure of exactly what you describe, with tensioner pin removed rotate crank a few times to settle in the new belt including pre-tension the tensioner, then lock the crank at TDC and pull the two cam gears loose from the cams and with the cam lock bar in place set everything to perfection then lock the cam gears down again. When popping the gears loose from the cams, leave the cam gear bolts and washers in place but backed off a couple turns then use a punch to shock the gear base around the cam and it will pop loose. Of course if going this far then it is an ideal time to replace front cam seals too.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: