transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission

whenever i start my '03 a6 after having it sit either at home, overnight, or at work, after 8 hour day, it doesn't shift out of 1st gear until it hits 3000 rpms. This shift also isn't smooth. Is this normal for the car? I know my a4 did it but never thought anything of it. the car only has 37k miles on it. Could there be a transmission problem?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my guess is a trans filter issue, though I could be way off. Try cleaning/replacing the filter

screen or whatever it is they use and the ATF fluid to a good synthetic and let us know what happens.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

2nd that. Replacing filter and ATF might solve the problem. Blauparts sells a kit.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is this a reasonably easy DIY? I think I'm having the same problem

with my 03' A6. In addition to the car "clunking" into second and sometimes third gear, I also noticed that the car's lost a lot of it's "push-you-back-into-the-seat powerJust passed 100k miles and had my TB changed (also upgraded DV's and TBB with intention of (AWE - GIAC) chipping it in a week or so). .

I hope it's not old age setting in -- I just recently committed to keeping it for the long haul (hence the TB change etc.)
Old 10-16-2007, 05:53 AM

Default My B5 Passat (2.8L 30V) does the same thing - always has. It may not be quite 3k rpm, but it is

above 2300 rpm for sure. Here's what I've read/understand this is: this only happens on the very first start on a stone cold engine, usually 1st thing in the AM pulling out of driveway. It is supposedly programmed that way to assist in lighting off the catalytic converters in an effort to reduce the amount of emissions while the engine is still running rich due to cold start conditions. This should be the only "delayed" 1 - 2 upshift of the day, unless it sits for like 8 hours at work or similar. This is normal operation and doing a fluid and filter change did not effect this situation on my Passat.

I don't like it because IMO that is too high to rev the engine while cold and yeah - I care more about engine longevity than a few extra grams of hydrocarbons coming out my tailpipe. Hopefully this is your situtaion.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:58 AM

Default It is much more than your average oil change. STFA on the C5 A6 forum. You have to refill the

tranny with fluid while the engine is running and should be with the car in gear (wheels turning). The fill plug is on the bottom of the tranny - no access from up top like domestic and Japanese AT's. Obviously, if you screw up in this situation you could kill yourself and/or have the car driving off by itself - not good. Look for something called Stoney's Links and there will be a link to the procedure on an A8 - identical method for all ZF trannys, just slightly different amount of fluid and filter shape and the drain pan is easier to access on B5/B6 and C5/C6 vehicles.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 AM

BTW - Purchased this vehicle as new, right off the transporter, so it has to be normal.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Off to the repair shop I go Maybe I'll get out without spending $1000 this time! thks.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Should be able to get it done for $350 or less, this includes filter. Must do the filter, never do a

fluid flush. Make sure they use the ZF approved fluid (it is a light golden yellow, similar in color to fresh motor oil; not red like typical ATF fluid).
Old 10-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: absolutely correct on both counts..

I also know this because my SAI pump is shot and as soon as I hear it turn off, my shifting goes back to normal. Can't bring myself to spend $500 on a pump that runs for less than a minute.....

Quick Reply: transmission