what next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what next?

So i got my first s4 with 65,000miles came with a mtm 320hp package chip and exhaust. Overall i love the car coming from a mustang background lol so first i drove the car around for awhile only later to hear the throttle body boot leaking boost from the tear in the bottom, bought a new one from the dealer a week later the new one tore on the top in the middle. Bought a samco seems to work pretty good so far.
Had my malfunctioning abs module repaired by modulemasters worked like a charm thanks to the great information on audiworld.
Upgraded to some R1 diverter valves, The F hose seems to be intact with no tears so i replace that even if its fine now.
My questions is what should i do next.
-MTM software upgrade 345hp for 100 bucks
5 bar fpr for 169 bucks
cooler set of sparkplugs for 90 bucks
-Seeing that everyone thinks my ko3's will blow buy some ko4s not sure what else is needed?
-Or stiffen things up with a snub mount,dts and a short shifter?
-FMIC?

feel free to chime in with an opinion on what i should do
Old 07-16-2007, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sounds like you need a front sway bar. Definitely get the new MTM software...

I just put on the 345 upgrade, fpr, and cold sparks, about a month or two ago. I love the new software. It was inexpensive, and it makes a significant and noticeable increase in power and speed. I had the non-upgrade stage-one for a long time, ran it WOT everyday, w/83k mi, no issues with K03's. Obviously K04's are better, but I sincerely doubt you NEED them. The snub mount was just brought up extensively yesterday in the C5 A6 forum, you might want to check out their opinions. Also, if you do just have the rear sway bar, consider a front one to stiffen up both ends of the car. Sway bars did wonders for my handling.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think a larger front sway bar would defeat the point of a larger rear sway bar

and, we already have one up front anyway.

why is a fpr needed on any K03 programming? even giac's 100 oct program doesn't need one. you can't throw much more fuel through our injectors.

cold spark plugs aren't needed b/c you don't see enough boost long enough to cause any detonation on stock plugs, though to each their own.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what are the diff between the chip levels on MTM besides $$$?

why would you get a 5 bar fpr when you'll never run out of fuel with the stock 4 bar? you aren't driving a VW 1.8t.

a cooler set of spark plugs isn't a requirement, but to each their own

search the archives for the list of equipment needed for k04 turbos

some sort of IC upgrade is a good idea, like AWE or RS4, though FMIC is not that much better and is usually a pain to install

upgraded snub/dts/motor mounts/trans mounts/short shifter will keep you busy for a while

may I suggest buying a VAGCOM and doing a driving school? arguably the two best mods out there.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: what are the diff between the chip levels on MTM besides $$$?

ive been driving the old software and its okay but i definitely want the upgrade that i guess will take me from 320hp to 345hp hoppen from mtm says you need a 5bar because obiviously the extra power is demanding more fuel and some cooler spark. hoppen said my current chip is boosting at 15-16 and the upgrade raises it to 19 psi. i havent heard of another chip that gives 345hp.. car handles quite well remember im used to owning a 01 stage 2 roush that puts down a easy 350 to the wheels and im very satsified with my S4. what kind of driving school i live in norcall area and i havent heard of anything worth while other then the occasional auto x anybody have any oppinions on how the car will do against the 944 porsches at the auto x
Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so, I hate to break it to you, but there's no reason to have a 5 bar FPR on the

K03s. 19 psi isn't enough to run them out of fuel, as some older Giac codes ran even more than that on a spike. In fact, with current software, you're more than likely running rich, so why attempt to add more fuel? Your injectors are the limiting factor, not the FPR. At any rate, I've had good results with my 18 psi peak, but I can tell you right now that that's not 345 wheel horsepower. 345 is actually a conversion of guesstimated bhp or chp, which includes drivetrain loss. I'm assuming they used a 27% or so loss, so you're really in the 270-280 or so range on wheel horsepower. Just an FYI before you start throwing the 345 around and get laughed at. Obviously, no K03 chip can give you 345 whp, but plenty of them get you in the 345 bhp/chp range, especially if you factor in enough drivetrain loss factor.

And which 944 are you referring to, the turbo or non-turbo?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: so, I hate to break it to you, but there's no reason to have a 5 bar FPR on the

i never said 345whp ive already learned that with the mustang which only has 350 whp but over 400 to the crank
Old 07-16-2007, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

k, well, don't say 345 here either, because we *usually* just discuss whp.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Correct me if I'm wrong but.....

doesn't every car manufacturer/engine tuner list their power outputs in brake horsepower, or the SAE certified horsepower? Both,like you said, transfer less power than indicated to the wheels because they are measured at the output shaft or flywheel and thus do not count drivetrain losses. So, while bhp is an inaccurate representation of actual power transfered to the ground through the wheels, I haven't yet been to a dyno and measured whp, so what number other than 345 should I use? In Germany, we use DIN hp, which is also measured at the flywheel, and does not account for drivetrain losses. I respect your knowledge as it's clear to see you know almost everything about this car, at the same time, I feel like a world class engineer like Roland Mayer and the MTM staff must have a reason for insisting this fpr and sparks be packaged with this software. While they are apparently unnecessary items, there was probably some benefit observed by MTM. I'm here to learn more about my Audi and car's in general so if I'm wrong about any or everything, help me understand why. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my opinion: say that you have a stock S4. they'll never know the difference anyway.

I avoid the hp discussion altogether, usually due to dyno differences and adjustments and whatnot.

Ever asked what the reason is?

Quick Reply: what next?