Wow..that's all I can say...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow..that's all I can say...

Hi all...

So, until 2 days ago, I was just a simple professional, father of 3, happily married, approaching 40 and driving my Japanese economy rig to work every day. I've followed Audis my whole life and always wanted one, but it wasn't until 2 days ago that I stepped into a dealership to get one.

I went in, enticed by the new lease deals on the A4 and walked out with a used 2004 S-line A6 with the 2.7T engine. Love at first sight....

So,one of the guys at the dealership had "chipped" his 2.7, so he let me have some fun with it for a test ride. Next day, I'm getting an APR performance upgrade on mine...

A lot of fun, but the problem is, I'm falling in love with this car. When I was a kid, I was a German performance car fanatic. With college, grad school and then a family, it all disappeared. Now, this 2.7T has me intrigued and having fun again.

Here's my question:

Beyond what I've done, what are the logical steps for inceased horsepower and torque. I'm not looking to try and make this a 600hp car, but I do want to have as much fun as I can without blowing my engine (or warranty).

I'm about concealed power, so I'm not looking to make this car look like a Japanese Rocket. Understated elegance that throws you back into the seat is what it's all about.

So, what do you think, and thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Wow..that's all I can say...

I am thoroughly enjoying mine with only an APR chip. I have the 6-speed manual, but it's probably just as enjoyable with the tip. For about $500, it's an awesome upgrade that doesn't seem to really tax the turbos. I have 128k on the stock ones on mine with no blowing in sight. Mpg is still around 26 on the highway and 21 mixed driving. The only visual cue to performance is S4 wheels that were added last spring.

The only future mod I'm planning is piggy pipes. I've toyed with K04's, but decided not to for the price and the fact that this is a daily driver, not a track car. I already have one of those...

Over 300hp and about 400lb/ft does me nicely in this, the most comfortable car I've ever owned.

Alex
2000 2.7T
Old 12-31-2006, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Going beyond just a chip

I was in your situation over 2 years ago, so here is what I did. First, handling. The obvious wheel fitment is 8x18 with 235-40-18 performance tires. Next, a nice shocks/springs kit is worthwhile for $500-600. I likw Koni/H&R combo personally. You really don't need to go for expensive coil overs for the street. Then Hotckis swar bars - a BIG difference for the money. I also tightened up the gearbox with an AWE DTS kit and short shifter. They both help a lot in the driving experience.
OK power wise a chip is a great start. APR, GIAC-X or other. Then if you can get a good deal on downpipes, I would do that next. The only way to get the most out of the chip. Downpipes alone feel like you gain 30 -40hp with much improved turbo lag/feel. Oh, so now go for a nice cat back exhaust. Finally, look at intake, a K&N only (some will disagree), or maybe an S-flow intake. Oh, upgrade the brake system too, at least pads, S/S lines or go for a Big Brake kit. You will feel happier! Regardless, you should be good for 350hp or more and gobs of torque, without breaking the bank with KO4 kit.
Just my 2c worth.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Keep it simple

I have a 2003 A6 6sp with sport suspension. I have upgraded the DV's(Bailey Motorsports),TBB (Samco),Clutch(SB FE),DTS(AWE),Intake (S-FLOW), Engine Mounts(RS4)and of course a chip(GIAC-X)

It is a blast to drive. I put about 30,000 miles per year on my car and it is the best car I have ever owned. Have Fun
Old 12-31-2006, 08:57 PM

Thanks all, for the great info.

I love the idea of "tightening" the suspension and have already committed to spending the $700 or so for a step up in brakes. I am definitely going to go for the downtubes at some point as well.

A lot of what everyone discusses (brands, parts) is new to me, but I suspect that if I hang around here with you guys for a while I'll start understanding it a bit more.

Wishing you all an amazing 2007. Now that I have this car, I know mine will be great...

Take Care.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unless you intend to autocross/track your car, there's no need to upgrade the

brakes. In a one-time panic stop test, most of the big brake kits stop at the same distance as stock brakes, no quicker.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:35 PM
S4c

A word of caution...
My 2001 S4 is on its 4th set of turbos, and 3rd catalytic converters. The boost is too much for the turbos unless you make other mods, such as downpipes, oil cooler, etc. The ride is like a wild bronco, so pour it on gently. I switched to the 4.2 V8, and am happy. You can be happy too, but when the turbos go, you'll look like the HMS Hood after the Bismark drilled it.
Happy motoring!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Unless you intend to autocross/track your car, there's no need to upgrade the

WOW!!! Love at first sight I understand the feeling. I am sure you will enjoy your 2.7T (which in my humble opinion is the best engine Audi has made). I have a 2001 A6 2.7T Automatic [ :-( ] and lately I have noticed sluggishness especially from a stand still. I have 66K miles. Do you guys think replacing spark plugs, hoses, exhaust pipes would make a difference? Also I noticed a disturbing thing, I pulled out my Coolent tank and noticed one of the hoses was connected and the other looked like it has been cut (not intentionally)...where do the two hoses connect to? Sorry if my questions seem silly but I am trying to start taking care of my baby with very little knowledge.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default answers

Spark plugs should be replaced every 20k to 40k miles.

If you have holes/leaks, new hoses would help. Otherwise, no difference.

Exhaust will help a little; chip helps a LOT with sluggishness. Just remember that she is a pig...

The one that was "cut" looking is a drain hose in case you overfill. You're fine. Make sure you put it back behind the heat shield, though, and away from the engine.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Re: answers

Thanks for the response. I have bought new Spark plugs but when I tried to replace them I didn't see the "usual" wires. So I guess that I need to unbolt the "panel" with the wire in it and I should see the spark plugs right? Also what chip do you recommend Revo doesn't seem to make one for my specific model but if I tell them the ECU code, I think, they said they would be able to provide an upgrade. How is the APR chip?

Quick Reply: Wow..that's all I can say...