Do i need to let the car idle afterwords to "cool down" the supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
I came from the turbo world and know minimal about superchargers. In the S4, do i need to let the engine idle for a minute or two after stopping to cool down the supercharger?

I know with turbo'd cars, you should do it to let oil circulate thru the turbo to prevent the oil from burning up inside .
Yes, cool it down. I have one 2.7 turbo, 15 years old and have not had any problem while following this procedure. Also have a new 3.0T and will also cool down before shutting it off.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by auditechjs
To the OP, no, you don't have to let it idle. The car has what's called an "after-run coolant pump" that circulates coolant thru the supercharger intercoolers so they don't overhead from heat soak.

-Jesse
Turbo cars actually have this too these days, so the practice of letting a turbo car idle for a moment is an outdated concept. Most new turbo cars (speaking from experience with a 2012 Golf R and 2014 VW CC) will continue to circulate oil through the turbo after the car has been shut off. You can actually hear this circulating if you pop the hood and listen carefully after a spirited drive.

Additionally, higher engine oil pressures means engine oil is circulated faster, so maintaining a (low boost) higher RPM will be better for oil cooling.

I am a proponent for a nice, low-speed "cool down" lap or drive after driving your car hard. Rather than letting it sit idle and still while engine heat builds up under the hood and your car is relying on its electric fan, give it a nice slow drive to let natural air cool the radiator, condenser, oil/transmission coolers, brakes and other components.