1992 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro oil problem

Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro oil problem

Hi guys im new here live in USA Connecticut, Hi

I bought the Audi A4 3.0 Quattro 2 weeks ago. On the dash comp when you hit check it comes up with red bottom portion oil and also red bottom portion Anti freeze. No biggie right?

I was driving the car back from work a 36 mile drive when I noticed the CHeck engine light fluttering, I stopped immediateley checked oil it was low added a quart drove home no problem light went off.

This morning I made sure oil level was corect and started the drive to work, had engine idling to warm up started driving got 5 miles down the road and engine comes on and stays on, I had a quart of oil in the car because it is new so I put it in drove it home.

Took my truck to work and when I got home checked the Audi I made sure oil was good ran it to get it up to running temp and just had a few little drops on the driveway as usual. Check engine light will not come off and from driving it seems that oil pressure from front of engine must squirt some oil at the running temp under the pressure right? noticed oil spatter over oil pan and above oil pan. Parts cleaned all oil off checked everything and seems ok. But light is still on.

So I need some input here as what might be happening, I absoluteley love this car and want to keep it.

Any suggestions of what to lok for would be great. I noticed a little whitish residue on oil fill cap which is probably condensation, check the dip stick no milky oil there, making me believe its not a head gasket but maybe a plug or seal on the engine?

Any help would be great thanks guys
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocksixromeo
Hi guys im new here live in USA Connecticut, Hi

I bought the Audi A4 3.0 Quattro 2 weeks ago. On the dash comp when you hit check it comes up with red bottom portion oil and also red bottom portion Anti freeze. No biggie right?

I was driving the car back from work a 36 mile drive when I noticed the CHeck engine light fluttering, I stopped immediateley checked oil it was low added a quart drove home no problem light went off.

This morning I made sure oil level was corect and started the drive to work, had engine idling to warm up started driving got 5 miles down the road and engine comes on and stays on, I had a quart of oil in the car because it is new so I put it in drove it home.

Took my truck to work and when I got home checked the Audi I made sure oil was good ran it to get it up to running temp and just had a few little drops on the driveway as usual. Check engine light will not come off and from driving it seems that oil pressure from front of engine must squirt some oil at the running temp under the pressure right? noticed oil spatter over oil pan and above oil pan. Parts cleaned all oil off checked everything and seems ok. But light is still on.

So I need some input here as what might be happening, I absoluteley love this car and want to keep it.

Any suggestions of what to lok for would be great. I noticed a little whitish residue on oil fill cap which is probably condensation, check the dip stick no milky oil there, making me believe its not a head gasket but maybe a plug or seal on the engine?

Any help would be great thanks guys

OK 1st off you said the check engine light was going off and on right? this means the car is misfiring. AKA you need new coil packs. there a recall on this i believe so it might be free!

for the check engien light: scan the car for codes. go to autozone and have them scan the car for codes. for audi and volkswagen most of us use a VAG-com which lets us monitor the engine for codes and clear them our self and perform logs. VERY HELPFUL!

write the code down and post here or lookit up at http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page