1998 A6 Quattro Misfire Problem. Think I may have it narrowed down, but need opinions

Old 10-02-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 A6 Quattro Misfire Problem. Think I may have it narrowed down, but need opinions

I bought my 1998 A6 a couple months ago and sure enough a week into having it the check engine light came on. Got the codes read and it came up as random misfire. First thing I did was change the spark plugs, then I changed the plug wires and the coil pack. I could still feel the engine misfiring so I got the codes read again. This time it came up as a weak signal to the MAF sensor.

I don't know how I missed it before but upon inspecting the MAF sensor I noticed a significant crack in the hose that leads from the front of the car into the air filter box. I'm thinking about just installing a K&N air intake system in hopes that will cure my misfire problems. Does anyone know if this will work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-17-2016, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mregan
I bought my 1998 A6 a couple months ago and sure enough a week into having it the check engine light came on. Got the codes read and it came up as random misfire. First thing I did was change the spark plugs, then I changed the plug wires and the coil pack. I could still feel the engine misfiring so I got the codes read again. This time it came up as a weak signal to the MAF sensor.

I don't know how I missed it before but upon inspecting the MAF sensor I noticed a significant crack in the hose that leads from the front of the car into the air filter box. I'm thinking about just installing a K&N air intake system in hopes that will cure my misfire problems. Does anyone know if this will work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Can't see the K&N making a difference in this respect (I'm using one in my 2000 2.8 Avant)

Have you checked your lambda sensors though, or do they read clean? Have had countless problems with mine, one causibg misfires!

Also read a thread about changing the water temperature sensor (unit apparently cheap in USA, not in South Africa!). They reckon it 'talks' to many systems and may well be faulty, even though it doesn't indicate errors.

Good luck!