ATQ deck height/piston stroke

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATQ deck height/piston stroke

Hello All,
I'm in the process of a top-end rebuild on a 2000 ATQ A6. In the process of cleaning the piston tops and deck surface, in preparation of putting the heads back on the engine, I noticed something very odd and disconcerting.

Number 1 piston does not travel to the top of the bore when rotating the engine by hand. All other pistons move to, or very near the top of the bore. When number 1 is at the top of it's stroke/bore there is ~ 3/32 of an inch of cylinder wall still visible. All other pistons, when at the top of their strokes, are near level to deck surface. Number 1 also goes that same distance deeper into the block bore. The carbon ring on the top ridge of cyl. 1 is visually wider than all other cylinders as well.

Any ideas? Is this somehow normal?

In 6 years of ownership there was never any indication of anything amiss internally.

Thanks for any response.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samanna
Hello All,
I'm in the process of a top-end rebuild on a 2000 ATQ A6. In the process of cleaning the piston tops and deck surface, in preparation of putting the heads back on the engine, I noticed something very odd and disconcerting.

Number 1 piston does not travel to the top of the bore when rotating the engine by hand. All other pistons move to, or very near the top of the bore. When number 1 is at the top of it's stroke/bore there is ~ 3/32 of an inch of cylinder wall still visible. All other pistons, when at the top of their strokes, are near level to deck surface. Number 1 also goes that same distance deeper into the block bore. The carbon ring on the top ridge of cyl. 1 is visually wider than all other cylinders as well.

Any ideas? Is this somehow normal?

In 6 years of ownership there was never any indication of anything amiss internally.

Thanks for any response.
Maybe the engine has a misbuild. A shorter connecting rod might have been installed from a different configuration engine? Maybe from a 3.0l V6 or a 2.4 l V6? Maybe the engine was repaired
with an incorrect rod or piston? Do you have the warranty history?