Camshaft oil seals - anyone have tools to rent near Milwaukee?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft oil seals - anyone have tools to rent near Milwaukee?

I am replacing the timing belt and associated parts on my 2001 Passat ATQ 2.8L 30V V6 engine.

I live in Oconomowoc and can travel anywhere between Madison and Milwaukee easily. I can provide any required deposit. The main tools I need are:

3240 Camshaft oil seal puller / extractor
3241 Tool for installing camshaft oil seal.

others that would be helpful

I had intended to only do the water pump, belt and pulleys but now I am considering doing the camshaft seals after coming across information that these are often replaced with this job as good PM.

thanks in advance!

glenparkcourt-audiworld@yahoo.com

btw, I am taking numerous pictures so that I can contribute to the write-ups if the job goes well.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Might try Blaufergnugen...

...www.blauparts.com. The website is somewhat lacking, but they are nice folks on the phone. They're located in Manitowoc IIRC.

They rent a kit of the special tools for the timing belt job, but only if you buy the parts from them. Their parts kit includes front cam and crank seals, but not the timing belt tensioner. That's an extra $100, but I'd recommend it if you're going to the trouble.

Having done this job recently, I'd say the 3391 and 3242 tools are pretty essential. The 3369 is also extremely helpful, especially if you're not interested in draining coolant. The fan spanner is also a big help.

HTH.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Might try Blaufergnugen...

thanks for the info! I should have mentioned I tried them already. I had purchased the kit before I heard of blauparts and they would not rent the tools to me, understandably; since I did not buy my kit from them.

I actually have changed my mind about the cam seals - as I got closer to the engine I noticed that there is no leakage from them, only from my sloppy oil fills.

I replaced the timing belt without any special tools (unless a strap-wrench or torque wrench is considered special).

believe it or not, I marked the timing belt and sprockets with a sharpie marker and counted teeth between the three sprockets in question. A very simple, but tedious method. I also took digital photos as backup evidence (the teeth can be counted in the before and after photos).

I did drain the coolant because it was due and because the water pump was also replaced. Coolant is not "lifetime" no matter what VW/AUDI may tell you. I learned that lesson the hard way on my VR6

fyi - my V6 30V ATQ Passat engine has 70k miles on it.

The two timing-belt idlers were in excellent condition but they were replaced anyway.

The water pump had significant play in the shaft but was not leaking - I am glad I bought the kit with the water pump.

The serpentine belt tensioner pulley makes a little bit of noise - more than a new one but it does not sound dry so i am leaving it alone. I refuse to pay $80 (tensioner assembly cost) when I know that the failed part is a $1 bearing or a $3 pulley. Someday I will buy a 6203 bearing from McMaster-carr and rebuild that pulley.

My car sees very average family-car duty and is not modified at all.

Mark
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I strongly recommend you do the camshaft adjuster seals too.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:43 AM

Default Re: I strongly recommend you do the camshaft adjuster seals too.

Thanks for the tip; may I ask why you recommend this?

So, the camshaft adjuster is at the back of the engine opposite the end I am working on.... it may not fall into the category of 'do it while you've got it apart'. Even so, I am curious to know if this part has a seal that is known to fail prematurely.

The engine has only 70k miles on it and is not modified and I do not drive the car hard - quite the opposite.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Because they all fail.

At 70k, I'd do them. They are much easier to do at the same time as the timing belt. One is at the rear of the passenger side head and the other is at the front of the driver's side. Do them now or do them later. STFA for tons of info. Good luck!