DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY

Anyone know a good website for DIY Audi stuff? I'm trying to figure out how to take the whole front end off so I can replace my serpentine belt and one of the rollers.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you dont need to take the whole front end off. Which model is it. A4 or A6?? Basicly there are T-25 screws holding the fender liner, take them out so you can reach your arm in the bumper, fine 3 10mm nuts each side holding the bumper cover to the fender. Pull off the 2 fog light grills, straight up each side is 1 8mm hex bolt that's really long, pull it out. Carefully give a controlled quick jerk and the bumper cover will pull off. Don't pull it to far yet, there's a fragile connector for the headlight washers you need to disconnect, and 4 electrical connectors, 2 for fog lights, 2 for horn. Now, you will see 6 T-30 bolts holding the carrier to the fenders. You will then notice 4 on one side and 3 on the other side T-45 bolts. Take 1 on each side out, put a stud of the same thread but very long in each, then remove the rest of the T-45 bolts. Now pull the entire carrier 6-8 inches forward. That's service position, you can do Timing belt ect easily now.

If your just replacing the drive belt, a skilled person can do it without putting it in service position.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thank you!! My buddy and I are going to attempt the "skilled person" position today and see what we can do.. If that doesn't go well we will do the service position.. Thank you for all the measurements!! And btw, it's a a4
Originally Posted by Prospeeder
you dont need to take the whole front end off. Which model is it. A4 or A6?? Basicly there are T-25 screws holding the fender liner, take them out so you can reach your arm in the bumper, fine 3 10mm nuts each side holding the bumper cover to the fender. Pull off the 2 fog light grills, straight up each side is 1 8mm hex bolt that's really long, pull it out. Carefully give a controlled quick jerk and the bumper cover will pull off. Don't pull it to far yet, there's a fragile connector for the headlight washers you need to disconnect, and 4 electrical connectors, 2 for fog lights, 2 for horn. Now, you will see 6 T-30 bolts holding the carrier to the fenders. You will then notice 4 on one side and 3 on the other side T-45 bolts. Take 1 on each side out, put a stud of the same thread but very long in each, then remove the rest of the T-45 bolts. Now pull the entire carrier 6-8 inches forward. That's service position, you can do Timing belt ect easily now.

If your just replacing the drive belt, a skilled person can do it without putting it in service position.