More cooling news.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More cooling news.

Well I tried bleeding the coolant system 5 or 6 times this moring and still no fix to the overheating. I also noticed the the upper rad hose gets very hot but the hose coming off the bottom of the expansion tank stays cool to the touch. So my next line of thought is that the t-stat is stuck closed preventing the coolant from circulating. I really don't feel like taking the timing belt off again.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:37 AM

Default T-Stat problems?

I really haven't been following along too closely with your problem, and I apologize. But I read up on the last few posts, and maybe you should try the method suggested in the previous thread, where it was suggested that the area be cleaned out and the thermostat replaced. I wish I could help at all, but I just don't know anything. I do hope sincerely that you get it worked out soon and can continue enjoying your car.

Ben
Old 11-23-2004, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: More cooling news.

If you replaced the timing belt, why did you not replace the t-stat? Your there. My theory, when you the front of the engine apart, replace everything. Its much cheaper and less time consuming in the long run.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not much point in telling him this now. In the future, I suggest replacing all the "wear" items

once you have the engine torn apart. It may cost you $50-100 extra at the time, but as you are finding out it will save you lots of labor. This is why people replace the water pump and associated stuff when doing timing belt, or vice versa. Like putting in a new clutch when the tranny is dropped for a problem even if your clutch is still good. Whenever labor is more than the part itself and that part is likely to require replacement sometime during the normal life of the car, do it.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:12 AM

Default bleeding the system didn't help me either....

is it possible that i bought a bad t-stat?
This is getting really annoying.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/30vv6/msgs/367.phtml">Original Post</a></li></ul>
Old 11-24-2004, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had the same symptoms when my t-stat was bad....

I had just had my Timing Belt replaced like 3 months prior and the shop that did the job said they replaced the T-stat with an OEM one, so I didn't think that it was bad. But I read a few posts saying exactly what you said: the upper hose was hot but the lower hose was cool = bad t-stat.

I replaced my t-stat and the over heating problem went away, so it was definitly stuck closed. Another interesting thing was that I was able to get the t-stat out without removing the TB. It was a pain but I had to do it because at that time I didn't have the cam tool. Wrap that section of the TB with plastic to keep it dry and wiggle the t-stat plate out.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:58 AM

Default I DID replace it.

I bought the timing belt replacement kit from blau which came with a t-stat. Thats why I hesitant to lay the blame on it.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Banned

There is a chance it's installed backwards and preventing proper flow
Old 11-24-2004, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The t-stat is prob defective. My OEM one didn't last 3 monts. It dosen't cost anything, replace it!
Old 11-24-2004, 07:56 AM
Banned

It doesn't cost anything except the time and effort to pull the front end off again :-/

Quick Reply: More cooling news.