Running Hot / Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Hot / Overheating

Hi Guys ~

Looking for some help !!

Have a 98 A6 AHA 30v - that I need to drive with the heat on full speed so it wont trip the over heat warning in the dash. After driving one day - it just came on.

Have been to 3 mechanics with this so far ...

Mechanic #1 replaced the clutch fan unit = no change.
Claims he took a read out on the radiator and it was OK.
And did not think it was a head gasket problem.

Later he pressure tested the system and found a leaking water-pump. (Which was newly installed almost 2 years ago)

Back to mechanic #2 that did the water pump - timing belt – tensioner because the front main seal had blown out! (They did forget to replace the thermostat) - Seems there was only a ONE YEAR WARRANTY on the water pump - So I had to pay to replace it all again!

Says after all was done - he let it run for an hour - it didn’t over heat !!

My result: = After driving 10 min. = Still overheating !!! Dropped it off three more times for them to find out why and maybe bleed air out each time driving it did not help either ...

Back to mechanic number #1 .. he claims to have tested coolant for combustion traces this time and feels it is a gasket @ $2000.00

To mechanic #3 .. an AUDI guy .. he seconds my thoughts ..that it is not a head or gasket problem ..

- No oil in coolant

- No coolant in oil

- No unusual steam or odor in exhaust

- Seems to run normal to me (no mis-fires)

Thinks it is air in the system .. and points out bleeder screw at hose near the front intake was never touched.

And says I need some vacuum lines replaced and rear cam seals.

Bto Mechanic #2 .. for another bleed etc. I mentioned the ... bleed screw .. he wont touch it .. it might break he says and does not want the risk .. wants me to do some research ... after paying him twice even!

So .. on a hot day it will sun just over 1/2 on the temp-gauge with the heat on "HI" also the Aux-fan will turn on almost every time I come to a stop light.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks guys !

--