Slave Cylinder problem after clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave Cylinder problem after clutch replacement

I just completed a marathon clutch and flywheel replacement and when I got in the car to try it out my clutch pedal was very stiff. I didn't think it through and pressed a little harder on it and the pedal went to the floor. The slave cylinder had blown apart and needs to be replaced. I was extremely careful not to press the clutch pedal while it was out of the transmission and also am confident I correctly inserted it to catch the throw out bearing plate. My question is should there be some play in the plate where the slave cylinder pushes on? I have removed the broken slave cylinder and when I push on it through the slave cylinder hole it seems very stiff to me. I am just wondering if that is normal or maybe something is causing it to be too stiff. I was very careful when reinstalling transmission and I dont think I touched any of the pressure plate fingers so I do not believe that is a problem. My old slave cylinder had a torn boot on it so I wonder if that could have anything to do with the problem. I am purchasing a new slave cylinder but I would hate to put another one on only to have the same thing happen. On the other hand I really do not want to pull that transmissiom back off unless it seems absolutely necessary. Any ideas or input on this would be greatly appreciated.