04 allroad w/ 4.2 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 allroad w/ 4.2 starting problem

I have an 04 Audi allroad with about 150k. I am having intermittent starting problems that are increasing.

Originally, I had trouble only when left overnight and the temps dropped. Now, if the vehicle is sitting for over a few hours, it doesn't want to start right up.

Symptoms are: cycle key and the dash and lights power up, but no click, no starter turning, nothing. Cycle many times and it will eventually start perfectly. The voltmeter doesn't indicate a change when you cycle the key to start. This is getting more prevalent now.

I did have the ignition switch replaced recently when I had the fuel pump replaced. I was having this starting problem before the fuel pump took a crap.

I am dreading having to replace the starter because it "might be the problem". I hate dropping $700 - $1000 on a guess.

Anybody have this experience or any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default same exact problem.

I have a 05 allroad 4.2 with the same problem. I replaced the battery & ignition switch hoping I didn't have to replace the starter. In the end it was the starter, it's a PITA to change, but doesn't require any special tools from what I remember. It is an expensive part, but I found it online at http://www.partsgeek.com/ for $175 shipped (no core charge) I was able to replace it in 4 hours or so. The worst part is having to remove the engine mount on the passenger side.

I hear it's a common problem, something about the heat causing early failure.

Good luck!
Old 12-25-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know this is an old thread, but we are having the exact same issue with out 2005 allroad 4.2

I just replaced the ignition switch but it went down to 7 degrees overnight and it wouldn't start even after about 20 tries, normally it will start after tries or so normally. So obviously that did not fix the issue. I went back out an hour later to check the battery voltage - it read 12v - turned the key and it fired right up no hesitation.

Is there a way to test the starter without removing it? And if it does need replaced is it something I can do myself? I've searched for hours looking for a DIY on this but have not found much. I plan on getting a Bentley and maybe the Schwaben VAG tool. But I have heard the Bentley is not that in depth and might not even show how to replace the starter.

Any other suggestions on what it could be?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I took the allroad into the indy shop nearby, he was familiar with the issue. Seems it could be the power supply relay in the ECU box under the drivers side rain tray. So he had his gchecked the wronguy take it out to inspect it, he said it was a bit corroded but otherwise looked ok so he cleaned it and put it back in. Car started fine the next few days but still had a delay before firing so I suspected the issue was still there. Got very cold last night and would not start at all this morning no matter how long you held it in the on position or how many time I cycled the key. I decided to check that relay so I opened the ecu box, I could not see the one he showed me so instead I removed and reinstalled the one labeled "373" and the car fired right up. More research showed this is the correct power supply relay, I think maybe he checked the wrong one? Anyway I'm going to purchase a new one and hope that's the end of it.

Here's the thread I'm referencing:

https://www.justanswer.com/audi/3vq0...-redlight.html