08 A6 P0087 low rail pressure. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 08 A6 P0087 low rail pressure. Thoughts?

bought this thing 3 weeks ago and the CEL and EPC lights lit up on Friday. Car drives, but lost its power and it starts rough. Ran codes at a parts store and got P0087 - low fuel rail pressure, a couple misfire codes from random even and odd cylinders and another one P**93 or 39? (Don't remember the exact number off hand, writing this from the man office &#128169 but if my memory serves correct it had something to do with the fuel pressure regulator. Cheap fixes first, replaced the filter/regulator with no luck. Second,ordered a fuel pressure sensor (thingy on the high pressure pump on driver's side) showed up today and it's the wrong part. In the meantime I dropped it off at the Audi dealer and let them have it for 2 days. They told me that the tech was on the phone with Audi for most of the day trying to figure out what's wrong. They came back with "in tank fuel pump tests fine, advise replacing both high pressure fuel pumps. 7 bar pressure and spec is 30 bar." Fair enough, makes sense, however what doesn't make sense to me is that both high pressure pumps went out simultaneously. Been swinging wrenches for quite a while, both hobby and professionally, and sometimes things just don't compute in my head. My understanding is that the in tank pump is electric and the two high pressures are mechanically driven off of the cams. How do two mechanical devices fail together when they're independent parts on either side of the engine? Granted this is my first Audi and I'm not completely versed in their engineering, but having worked on a few doing odd jobs they seemed like really nice cars and I wanted one. Two mechanical pumps with a sensor on one and some wires coming off the front of each one with the lines coming in from the back is what I see at a glance. With the car idling if you listen closely, you can hear them each ticking (I'm assuming similar in how an injector pump on a diesel is but at 1/10th the noise). Their repair estimate is $1208 to replace both pumps, which are the only parts on the estimate, which I find odd from a dealer that there aren't any other fittings or seals or o-rings included on their work order.

Apologies for the rant, all in all I'm curious if anyone else has encountered an issue similar to mine before? Anyone had either or both of these things go out at once? If I DIY this I could maybe do it for $600 ish I'm thinking. I'd just hate to do it and find out that wasn't the problem. Don't know what else it could be, there aren't that many more components in the system. The car is a 2008 A6 4.2 FSI engine code BVJ with 67k miles on it. Low miles, but it is 10 years old. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Post this in the C6 subforum and you'll get more visibility. Also have you used the SEARCH function to see similar postings?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandoMeats
bought this thing 3 weeks ago and the CEL and EPC lights lit up on Friday. Car drives, but lost its power and it starts rough. Ran codes at a parts store and got P0087 - low fuel rail pressure, a couple misfire codes from random even and odd cylinders and another one P**93 or 39? (Don't remember the exact number off hand, writing this from the man office ��) but if my memory serves correct it had something to do with the fuel pressure regulator. Cheap fixes first, replaced the filter/regulator with no luck. Second,ordered a fuel pressure sensor (thingy on the high pressure pump on driver's side) showed up today and it's the wrong part. In the meantime I dropped it off at the Audi dealer and let them have it for 2 days. They told me that the tech was on the phone with Audi for most of the day trying to figure out what's wrong. They came back with "in tank fuel pump tests fine, advise replacing both high pressure fuel pumps. 7 bar pressure and spec is 30 bar." Fair enough, makes sense, however what doesn't make sense to me is that both high pressure pumps went out simultaneously. Been swinging wrenches for quite a while, both hobby and professionally, and sometimes things just don't compute in my head. My understanding is that the in tank pump is electric and the two high pressures are mechanically driven off of the cams. How do two mechanical devices fail together when they're independent parts on either side of the engine? Granted this is my first Audi and I'm not completely versed in their engineering, but having worked on a few doing odd jobs they seemed like really nice cars and I wanted one. Two mechanical pumps with a sensor on one and some wires coming off the front of each one with the lines coming in from the back is what I see at a glance. With the car idling if you listen closely, you can hear them each ticking (I'm assuming similar in how an injector pump on a diesel is but at 1/10th the noise). Their repair estimate is $1208 to replace both pumps, which are the only parts on the estimate, which I find odd from a dealer that there aren't any other fittings or seals or o-rings included on their work order.

Apologies for the rant, all in all I'm curious if anyone else has encountered an issue similar to mine before? Anyone had either or both of these things go out at once? If I DIY this I could maybe do it for $600 ish I'm thinking. I'd just hate to do it and find out that wasn't the problem. Don't know what else it could be, there aren't that many more components in the system. The car is a 2008 A6 4.2 FSI engine code BVJ with 67k miles on it. Low miles, but it is 10 years old. Thanks!
I think I got the same error message you are talking about, just a month ago. It generally translates to HPFP failure. We have 2 of them of course. I ordered the pumps and replaced them both, problem gone. It is about a 1 hour job for someone with only mild experience. Your A6 is same engine code as my 2007 A8 the pumps are right on top. I found best price for the pumps at ecstuning.com ( $263.95 each ). I ordered the Hitachi pumps (left and right) which are the same as OEM and German made. They ship directly from Hitachi. So for 527.00 (free shipping) I fixed the problem and replaced both pumps.

000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0087 - 008 - Too Low - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 2

Name:  IMG_1412_zpsl9lb5x37.jpg
Views: 14806
Size:  5.60 MB

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 04-11-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: better info
Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, kind of the info I was looking for. Been pondering other things in my head since it's been going on as well, like maybe the thrust sensor under the intake or something. Might as well just bite the bullet and order the pumps. So you replaced your own? I'll do mine myself, very mechanically versed here. Question is, did you do anything else while they were off such as change or inspect the followers underneath? Did you need any additional parts for the job like o-rings or gaskets? I'm aiming to have it done by the weekend and I don't want to get held up with some little 99 cent part that I forgot to order (not that anything on these cars costs 99 cents. Lol)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel rail location

Originally Posted by 1stGOAT
I think I got the same error message you are talking about, just a month ago. It generally translates to HPFP failure. We have 2 of them of course. I ordered the pumps and replaced them both, problem gone. It is about a 1 hour job for someone with only mild experience. Your A6 is same engine code as my 2007 A8 the pumps are right on top. I found best price for the pumps at ecstuning.com ( $263.95 each ). I ordered the Hitachi pumps (left and right) which are the same as OEM and German made. They ship directly from Hitachi. So for 527.00 (free shipping) I fixed the problem and replaced both pumps.

000135 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0087 - 008 - Too Low - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 2

Attachment 70018
i have same engine mosy a8 fuel rail seats on top of the manifold mine and your does. have you found where the fuel rail is? is it under the intake manifold? please help