2005 Allroad 4.2 oil smell in cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Allroad 4.2 oil smell in cockpit

Just purchased the car off a 3 year lease return and bought the Wynn's 7 year 100,000 mile warranty to extend the factory warranty.

Is it normal to smell burnt oil in the cockpit. Not all the time, but at times it makes me think there is an oil leak and the hot engine is burning off the oil. I don't doubt that the engine may leak a little oil, but with a pan on the bottom of the engine that prevents viewing any oil leak I'm not sure if I would find the leak looking under the car myself. I'm wondering where the oil might be leaking from and whether this would be considered an AoA warranty issue or not.

There are no leaks in the driveway to show a location either. This may be due to the pan under the engine that I have heard about but not looked at myself yet.

Lastly, does this car really have a pan to prevent leaks from spilling onto the pavement?

If so, How do I empty or wipe out any oil collected in it?

TIA!

Kurt
Old 05-16-2008, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Have your mechanic check the rear camshaft seals.

Yes, there is a plastic "noise reducer" aka belly cover under your vehicle. You need to put your vehicle up on ramps or jack stands to remove it (although the Allroad does have good ground clearance, so you may not need to elevate the vehicle). You simply turn the fasteners with a flat head screwdriver 1/2 turn to remove. Slide the cover towards the rear of the vehicle and it will drop down. Before wiping any oil off of it, note the location of the oil leak on the cover so you can either a) check where it is leaking from the engine, or b) tell your mechanic precisely where you saw the oil spot on the cover. Needless to say, if there is a substantial amount of oil on the cover, take your vehicle to be serviced ASAP.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Have your mechanic check the rear camshaft seals.

Thanks for the info. I drove up to the Matt Ammon memorial Driving School this weekend and with a days worth of running the car hard in 90 degree heat I never once smelled any oil burning.

But, I did find out I have a leak in the wind shieled that leaks directly into the cockpit air filter and down into the drivers footwell. When I pulled out the floor mats as required by the car inspections before the even I felt the moisture. One of the other Audi owners told me this happened to him and it was caused by an improperly installed replacement wins shield. This explains the steaming (fogging up) I get on the inside.

Kurt