Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Engines > 4.2 V8 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Easier timing belt replacement

Easier timing belt replacement

Old 05-15-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Easier timing belt replacement

My 2001 A8L just went past 75,000 mi so it was time to change the timing belt. I purchased a complete kit from a reputable Audi VW parts supplier. My car was running perfect at this time and after watching all of the procedure videos and studying the car I was determined not to take the cam sprockets off. I used the crankshaft locking tool and the camshaft locking tool (secured to the cams with clamps). Then I removed the concentric and spring belt tensioners. I then removed the water pump, it takes some creativity to get it out but it can be done. Next I removed the belt, matched it with the old one and transferred the marks,installed the new belt lining up the marks with those on the sprockets. Install the new pump and tensioners in the reverse order, New coolant oil change etc. and it works great! Now my car is in exceptional condition and the old belt was not worn dramatically so the teeth on the belts lined up. I was not wanting to deal with the variable valve timing and after a month of driving I'm satisfied with the results!