Fan assembly through the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan assembly through the radiator

Just got my first Audi. A 2004 A6 4.2L V8 Quattro. Test drove it the day before. Loved it enough to trade my Suburban and the1969 Regatta speed boat hitched to the back of it, Smiling the whole time thinking "boy I'm getting one hell of a deal."
15 minutes later, while sitting on the side of the road, listening to coolant drain from the destroyed radiator, holding what was left of the fan assembly in my hands i was still smiling.

Ive learned a lot since that day. Found that Audi discontinued the fan assembly. But I did manage to run across one on line.... $1999.99. "I may be the owner of an Audi, but that doesn't mean I can afford it". I have done
a lot of thinking, and decided to install an electric fan vs. replacing the original assembly. I did this once on a 2000 Lincoln LS replacing the hydraulic fan with an electric. pulled the pump, bought a shorter belt and rerouted
it. Worked out great. But i don't see any way to do that on the Audi. I have to come up with a pulley to run the belt over. otherwise I see problems in the future.

Here's what I'm working with....

I can afford a new radiator, replace hoses, and get a new overflow tank.
I'm not sure which electric fan to get.
The bearing assembly is shot. Its $400 for another one. So I'm trying to come up with another option for mounting the pulley. "Maybe a tensioner?"

Any ideas? I need all the input I can get on this.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chris Goings
Just got my first Audi. A 2004 A6 4.2L V8 Quattro. Test drove it the day before. Loved it enough to trade my Suburban and the1969 Regatta speed boat hitched to the back of it, Smiling the whole time thinking "boy I'm getting one hell of a deal."
15 minutes later, while sitting on the side of the road, listening to coolant drain from the destroyed radiator, holding what was left of the fan assembly in my hands i was still smiling.

Ive learned a lot since that day. Found that Audi discontinued the fan assembly. But I did manage to run across one on line.... $1999.99. "I may be the owner of an Audi, but that doesn't mean I can afford it". I have done
a lot of thinking, and decided to install an electric fan vs. replacing the original assembly. I did this once on a 2000 Lincoln LS replacing the hydraulic fan with an electric. pulled the pump, bought a shorter belt and rerouted
it. Worked out great. But i don't see any way to do that on the Audi. I have to come up with a pulley to run the belt over. otherwise I see problems in the future.

Here's what I'm working with....

I can afford a new radiator, replace hoses, and get a new overflow tank.
I'm not sure which electric fan to get.
The bearing assembly is shot. Its $400 for another one. So I'm trying to come up with another option for mounting the pulley. "Maybe a tensioner?"

Any ideas? I need all the input I can get on this.
Hi Chris, any progress on this?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I managed to get get the fan situation handled. learned a big lesson with eBay. "Their fitment guides are B.S. it took them 3 tries to send me the right radiator." I wasn't able to get the replacement bearing set. but did get one from a 3.0L which of course wasn't even close to what would fit. so I pulled it apart, salvaged what i could from the my 4.2 and had bearings pressed into the old housing. as for the fan shaft, clutch, and fan... Well I busted the clutch the rest of the way off the shaft, welded a plate, drilled four holes and bolted a flex a lite nylon fan to it.

So far no problems with overheating. But...... I have 8 OBD codes, I can tell this is going to be a love hate relationship already..