Oil Level warning light, but oil is full!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Oil Level warning light, but oil is full!

On my '04 4.2 A8L with 145k miles, the oil level light came on after driving; I checked with the dipstick and the oil was right on the top of the crosshatched area - full, where it's been for the past 10,000 miles. then I thought it could be showing low just when the engine is running due to a decreased return to the oilpan, but the low warning came on when I started it this AM.

Is the warning upon startup due to the car remembering from yesterday?

How does the oil level sensor work on this engine?

There is no apparent oil burning or leaking.

Any other info is appreciated!
-Tom
Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try to disconnect the battery?
If I have low oil level, I will fill to maximum and I must disconnect the battery.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that with my B6 S4. Took it to a local shop specializing in Audi and was told the hood latch can also trigger a Oil Level warning if not secure. Opened the hood, closed it, and the light went off. Give that a shot.
The following users liked this post:
Sun18 (06-15-2023)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If none of the above suggestions work out for you. It is likely the oil level sending unit on the bottom of the engines oil pan. wait till you are do for an oil change.. remove the oil level sending unit after draining the engine oil from the drain plug.. plug in the new unit and you are done.. it's a very easy task.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by indys4grey
I had that with my B6 S4. Took it to a local shop specializing in Audi and was told the hood latch can also trigger a Oil Level warning if not secure. Opened the hood, closed it, and the light went off. Give that a shot.
This option just worked in my case. I confirm I opened and closed the hood and the oil level warning went off. Before doing so, I have checked the oil level with the Vag (Engine->Measure> option 9) and the instant reading of the oil level was above the minimum threshold oil level, so, logically I should not have any oil level warning light on. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-17-2018, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Low oil

Originally Posted by aTOMic
On my '04 4.2 A8L with 145k miles, the oil level light came on after driving; I checked with the dipstick and the oil was right on the top of the crosshatched area - full, where it's been for the past 10,000 miles. then I thought it could be showing low just when the engine is running due to a decreased return to the oilpan, but the low warning came on when I started it this AM.

Is the warning upon startup due to the car remembering from yesterday?

How does the oil level sensor work on this engine?

There is no apparent oil burning or leaking.

Any other info is appreciated!
-Tom
On my 2005 a6 i changed the oil pressure sensor and the light went away almost immediately. Hope this helps
Old 06-17-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It seems that the oil level sensor is faulty. This was in my case. It doesn't read the oil level properly and it triggers low oil level warning message.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My low oil light was on but my oil level was full. I just reset the battery and the light went out
Old 10-07-2021, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default low oil level faulty

Originally Posted by vasilescu.bogdan
It seems that the oil level sensor is faulty. This was in my case. It doesn't read the oil level properly and it triggers low oil level warning message.
I have change my low level sensor and do my oil change. I filled up the oil with 5 quarts and try it but still the low level sign still on. i did everything that mention here the hood latch and batterry rest but still the same, what next to be done people any suggestion?
Old 06-15-2023, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is exactly what happened with our 2008 A6; I owned the hood and made sure to close it really well and the light went off. Thank you smooch for the above recommendation.

Quick Reply: Oil Level warning light, but oil is full!