Perfornance Chip Choices for B6 S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfornance Chip Choices for B6 S4

Hey all, just got my Dolphin Gray B6 a few months ago after switching from a history of BMW M cars. What a great engine! But throttle response (compared to a BMW) leaves a lot to be desired. For those of you who've driven an M car, the throttle feels punchy and pins you immediately into your seat. The S4 seems to have similar power, but one of the few joys in driving is holding a gear, letting off gradually, and then punching it to the floor. I don't get this anymore! I'm sure Audi did this for a smooth driving experience. I'm wondering what chips are on the market, and which one you guys recommend to hopefully fix this problem. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default That's Funny because I just got a Dolphin Gray B6 S4 a few months

ago and I just got it chipped last week. I eded up getting the GIAC as I was looking at both the GIAC and the Powerchip (which claims to produce more power). After a phone call to Powerchip and not not getting the rep to affirm those numbers on their web site I decided to just go and get the GIAC.

I'ver only driven the car one day with the Chip, last week, and will take it out tomorrow again.

From my first impressions, the throttle is more responsive and shifting has become silky smooth (manual). The RPM's rise noticably faster and the herky jerky first gear shifts are gone. Is the car faster. It doesn't feel faster from the light but 've only had a day with the car. It does feel faster on the freeways.<ul><li><a href="http://www.torque-factory.com/">Certified GIAC dealer</a></li></ul>
Old 12-02-2006, 08:34 PM

Default Re: That's Funny because I just got a Dolphin Gray B6 S4 a few months

I appreciate the feedback! Yes I still have a terrible time driving the car smoothly and I feel like an idiot rocking the car away from a light. If you wouldn't mind, please keep me updated on your GIAC experience!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default GIAC will smooth out clutch engagement 100% (long reply)

Drove the car again last night and I can actually say that there is absolutely no more issues with the clutch engagement all due to the GIAC flash. The car pulls smoothly away from the light and shifting between gears is as smooth as can be. Throttle delay is still there but to a much lesser degree which was probably the culprit to the jerky engagements. The car also sounds a bit meaner and throatier. Keep in mind that I am running a mix of 20% 101 octane and 80% 91 octane in the tank.

As for the power increase, that's really hard to tell as the car feels like it's not covering ground as fast as it used to. This could all be in my head as the rpms rise much quicker, and in a shorter distance) thus can give the illusion that you are not covering as much ground.

Is the mod worth it? Well, I ended up paying $675.00 for the standard program (no valet, no race and no theft kill due to the fact that they now bundle the package that way). I felt no need for the valet as no valet will ever drive the car, and I don't plan on using race gas for my daily driving. Next year I may add the race program, if I can get it alone, or the entire package before I take the car on a track. If you can't stand driving the car the way it is, then go and get it chipped. If you can get used to the way the car drives then I don't think that there is any need for the chip as you don't get much for your money in terms of power. But there is really not much in power increases for our cars anyways and you gotta spend your money somewhere so...

You'll get over the money soon enough and will have the chip for as long as you own your car. That's how I justified it.

Good Luck. By the way, try and get it for $599.00 and not $675.00 like I did.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: GIAC will smooth out clutch engagement 100% (long reply)

Just got word from Stratmosphere that the modding the car with just the chip alone will result in a reduction of power due to the fact that the exhaust gases can't escape fast enough. Have to do the exhaust when you chip to see any noticable gains. So I guess that the slow feeling is not all in my head.

Here we go again, more money on that never ending search for more power.

Going to order my exhaust today.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: GIAC will smooth out clutch engagement 100% (long reply)

Wow definitely great information! I've already gone ahead and removed the primary mufflers from my car. Hopefully this will help the chip out. Just your comments regarding the smoother clutch engagement is enough to convince me to get the GIAC setup. I've made up my mind. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No power from chip upgrade?

Well, I had my GIAC installed a couple of weeks ago. I have waited to post my opinions until I got a good feel for it.

To start, I got the race, pump gas, and stock modes with the handheld switcher.
First impressions on pump gas is much improved throttle response and I would definitely say an increase in power. The DBW issues I don't think are fully resolved, going to look into some sprintbooster testing to see if it helps, but definite overall improvement. However, I wanted to drive it like this for a while then go back to stock before making a final comment.

So after 2 weeks, I switched it back to stock. Ok there was a definite power increase from this mod. Not significant like chipping my 1.8T, but definitely noticeable. I don't really buy the power will go down by chipping it, I mean power doesn't go down by chipping a 1.8T if you don't upgrade the exhaust, so I find that to be misguided.

This past weekend I filled her up with race fuel and gave the race program a shot. Holy ****. Definitely a fun drive. But I guess stratmosphere would say that the power went down because the exhaust gases couldn't escape without an exhaust upgrade. While I do agree that upgrading the exhaust would definitely complement the chip nicely, I don't think it is necessary to see power improvement. Just my .02
Old 12-11-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: No power from chip upgrade?

Gotcha. Just asked for the chip as an XMas gift from my wife! =) This is all great feedback I'm getting from you guys. I'll keep y'all updated.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Your fuel mixture

Isn't that equivalent to regular old 93 octane pump gas?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your calculation is correct and 93 is what I was going for.

Quick Reply: Perfornance Chip Choices for B6 S4