You may have heard this before but read on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You may have heard this before but read on...

Hello geniuses

Okay I will explain my new problem with my new (used) b6 S4. I had a synchro gear fail and tear up my 6 speed after owning the s4 for about 3 days. A month has passed and a new tranny has been put in and it runs very smooth. I suppose it took a month because the two Germans in a row boat can only go so fast loaded up with a transmission. So Im back in action, I take the car on its very first roadtrip and experience a wicked shudder under the seat and self diagnose as an unbalanced tire. Take it to a strange town tire shop, they cant zero out the wheel as apparently its bent... did I mention this was an "audi certified preowned" fully inspected vehicle??? So they balance as best they can and I continue to go see about a girl. Still shakin in my seat but not as bad.
I return form the road trip and go back to the tire shop. Buy some sweet Mandrus polished 16 spoke wheels. The car rides beautifully. Now, I can shift well and ride in comfort.. things are good... for about 5 minutes....

I noticed that as I drove around the 2000 rpm range the engine emitted a high pitched whistle whine loud enough to attract a pack of wild dogs.
I try turning the AC on and off... play with the accelerator, but the whine is very subtle while idling (it can only be heard when the hood is up) but when I gas it, it whistles at about 1900- 2500 rpm before th engine noise drowns it out.

I searched the S*IT out of these forums and found a ton about power steering levels making whines, alternator belts, PTO tensioners.. but nothing really describes what Im getting here folks.

This only happens when its hot. And its less of a whine and more of a whistle or high pitch tone. I convinced a random guy to get in my car (i know... shut up).. to press the accelerator and I cannot tell which side of the engine its coming from. it really loud and high pitched that it sounds like its coming from all over.

Anybody got anything?? I hate the dealership.. any suggestions would be great.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM

oh ya and I have about 70tho kms on the vehicle
Old 09-10-2008, 04:53 PM

Anybody??? C'mon you guys are usually quick! Any ideas at all?
Old 09-12-2008, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it is CPO'ed why not just take it to the dealer? They will look at it fo fru!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Re: If it is CPO'ed why not just take it to the dealer? They will look at it fo fru!

ya I suppose.. I just got it back after a month of it being sick so Im reluctant to give it away again.. I thought maybe it was one of those common engine "gremlins" that pop up every now and then with a quick easy fix... thanks tho..

J
Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Sounds like they gave you something that they passed off as a CPO car.

They probably didn't even inspect it :P