A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Audi Pure Extended Warranty for $3600 for Certified Pre-owned Audi A4. Worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Pure Extended Warranty for $3600 for Certified Pre-owned Audi A4. Worth it??

Hello,

I recently bought an Certified Pre owned Audi A4, 2013. It has factory warranty for another two and a half years/50k and CPO warranty for two years after that. I also bought Audi Pure Extended Warranty that takes effect along with the CPO warranty. Can you please explain whats the difference between CPO warranty and the Audi Pure warranty? If they are similar, is it possible to cancel and get the refund for Audi Pure warranty? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Depending on which extended warranty you purchased (they are always 3rd party as Audi does not offer extended warranties other than CPO), it might cover some things not covered by the CPO. Nevertheless, the extended warranty will not come into play until the CPO warranty expires. I'm surprised (well, not really) that the dealer would sell you an extended warranty on top of a CPO unless it adds to the time frame or mileage. I'd drop it and self insure against poss future repairs anyway. Invest the $3600. These third party warranty companies are in the business to make money and know the odds are in their favor.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

IM gonna be a bit snarky here: I think before you spend $3600 think it thru FIRST.
The questions you ask you might want to consult with your salesperson or finance manager. The contract you signed will also tell you all you need to know. Did you not read it? Not understand what the finance person was selling you?

Your not telling us how many miles are on the car, original in service date is, or how many miles your expecting to drive. Thus, how long the original warranty will last. Same for the "Two years after that". Is that 2 years, 24,000 miles?

I don't know how much money you have in reserve, nor how much you spend for the car. Did you pay for an extended warranty an amount to 10% or 15% of the purchase price? if so, what would that $3600 have bought in a model with less miles on it?
Did you pay cash, or finance the warranty? For the car? How long are you planning to keep the car? How long was the finance (if any)? Owning an older car thats paid for you have to consider the service repair costs are usually far less than making payments. Example, if your paying $500 a month, or $6000 a year, do you think an allroad with 80,000 miles will cost you $6000 a year in repairs and maintenence?

So many variables then "Did I do the right thing"? Each of us has a different answer and opinion base on logic from our own values. Even "I hate to worry and willing to pay to take that away" might be extremely a bad idea for one person, but another its perfectly fine!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The OP is new and could have provided more details. Asking for more info with a bit less snarkiness in that first paragraph might have been more helpful.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The OP is new and could have provided more details. Asking for more info with a bit less snarkiness in that first paragraph might have been more helpful.

I did properly say "Snarky" and thought the question is one that should be asked first to the proper audi rep instead of a half baked question. Was it not a sign of respect to then construct the proper questions he might answer so we might better help him? I would think it improper to just be critical but I did further the thread and perhaps it could be used by others.

If he comes back to answer, I would try to help him. In all fairness I put more thought into the questions than the OP into his question, and for that matter, into spending $3,600!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nalod
I did properly say "Snarky" and thought the question is one that should be asked first to the proper audi rep instead of a half baked question. Was it not a sign of respect to then construct the proper questions he might answer so we might better help him? I would think it improper to just be critical but I did further the thread and perhaps it could be used by others.

If he comes back to answer, I would try to help him. In all fairness I put more thought into the questions than the OP into his question, and for that matter, into spending $3,600!
Again, the first paragraph of your response to the OP was unnecessary. Let's leave it at that.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Again, the first paragraph of your response to the OP was unnecessary. Let's leave it at that.
Hello all,

Thank you for your responses. The answer to your questions are:

Currently, the car has little less than 23k on it and I am expecting to drive it about 10k per year. I have original warranty until Mid 2017 or 50k and CPO warranty 2 years after that or 100k. I do not know if the Audi Pure Warranty is provided by third party or Audi itself. I do not have much detail about the coverage of Audi pure warranty and have requested the salesperson to send me details of both CPO and Audi Pure warranty, so that I can compare both. On my itemized receipt, it says, "Audi Pure, 84 months/100k". I bought the extended warranty from Audi. The salesperson told me that it is a point of sale thing and I cannot purchase it after that. I am not sure as yet, how long I am gonna keep the car.

To make the question easier, can I can buy a similar warranty towards the end of CPO warranty or original warranty? If you can please answer that for me, then that might help me to decide if I should cancel the warranty or not. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is what I found about the CPO coverage: http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...ty-Booklet.pdf
Old 01-19-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sud1986
Here is what I found about the CPO coverage: http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...ty-Booklet.pdf
It looks like they sold you duplicate coverage which would be unnecessary since the CPO warranty takes you out to 100K miles (which appears by your statement that you will get to before the time in years). While the extended warranty might cover a few things the CPO would not, for the price I feel it's not worth it, especially since you have CPO coverage.

Note that while Audi dealers sell extended warranties and have service relationships with the companies that provide them. (Pre-approvals for repairs are less seamless than the factory warranties), Audi does NOT manage or directly provide or sponsor them. Usually, they are provided by a third party company called Fidelity (check your paperwork). Also, while the price would be higher, extended warranties can be purchased later.

Sounds clear to me that your salesperson was more interested in a fat commission than providing the facts and sold you something you don't need. Cancel the "Audi Pure Protection" and bank the money for later on the few things not covered by the original and CPO warranties.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

since your putting only 10k miles per year on the car your looking at warranty out at about 43k, and CPO another two yeras, but thats really just 20,000 miles or 63,000.

Paying $3600 for coveraage from month 62 to month 84 seems redundant as SnagitZeven indicated. The miles on the odometer Im going to guess will be about 80-85,000 miles.

I would ask them specifically what is covered vs. not but the additional warranty. Sure, one brake computer replacement might cost $3000 and a transmisison rebuild or replacement would be even more awful, but these are unusual events.

I don't know your financial situation so its hard to determine what is the right thing for you. Also if these things provide greater anxiety than some of the posters here who live and breath their cars. You might better enjoy having less stressful ownership by having the warranty. We all have different things we worry about.

To simply say "He was out for a fat commisson" might not be true if you were expressing concern over costs of repair and demonstrated a level of anxiety over it.
Only you can determine this.

I think if you break it down, you now have some opinions to decide for yourself. If your really concerned with controlling costs more than the financial aspects of the warranty then it might prove to be of value to you. If you are able to save $3600 indepdently and OK with an uncertain repair future that would another way to look at it.

Me, I don't go for extended warranties, interior guards, or special coatings. They offered me tire hazard insurance and I Don't think it included the wheel for $800!!!!! Thats about the cost of 3.5 tires!!!!!

Quick Reply: Audi Pure Extended Warranty for $3600 for Certified Pre-owned Audi A4. Worth it??