A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Doing a Stage 1 Revo tune tomorrow - I hope the allroad's Turbo can take it

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stage 1 Revo tune Installed

So I posted this earlier before the install, and now I did the install. see update in reply below:
-------------------------
I've set up an appoint tomorrow with a Revo dealer to have a Stage 1 Revo software installed.
It is suppose to bump up HP from 211 to 280 - 290 HP (around 70 -80 HP more)
and torque from 258 lb to 318 - 348 (60 - 90 lb more).

With Revo, it's a port flash which they just plug into the car's computer.
They will not remove the ECU from the vehicle.

They said they will still have to check the ECU number in the database.
If it's not there, it will take longer as they have to communicate with Revo.
They say it will take about 1 hour if they have the ECU number confirmed.

I hope it will not shorten the life of my turbos, as it will stress the turbos more.
I'm not too concern about the engine as I change oil every 5000K and am willing
to put a Lucas Oil Stabilizer or BG MOA to improve engine lubrication and engine life.
I'm just concern how the allroad's turbo will take it.
Any suggestions on how to lengthen the life of the turbos?
Do you let the engine idle for a while after a long drive before turning it off ?
or do you just keep RPM below the 6,800 redline ?

Last edited by ayap; 07-10-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I had a somewhat similar Stasis tune on my A5. It was a remarkable boost in performance (pun intended). I had to get it re-tuned (no charge) when I later got their SS dual exhaust however.

Stasis at the time was dealer sanctioned and offered. They also provided a full warranty through the dealership, so I was not really concerned with over stressing the turbo. I had no issues.

Revo is a long standing and reputable outfit who does considerable testing and analysis so you should be fine. Audi really does over-engineer their systems, and are conservatively tuned from the factory, which of course is what makes this possible.

It's a good idea with any turbo to let the car idle for a few minutes prior to shutdown.

Enjoy!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. Yeah, I was banking on the German over-engineering part.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

INITIAL IMPRESSION - REVO STAGE 1 on A4 allroad 2.0 engine.

So, went to the Revo dealer at around 10:00 am. And 11:00 a.m., I was driving a different car.

As I was driving out of the dealer's lot, I could feel the power immediately even with transmission on 'D'. Throttle was very responsive with just a very little amount of gas pedal pressure. Power on demand is there.

Once on the highway, after depressing the gas pedal, speedometer registered 95-96 MPH, and my wife then says 'slow down'. Normally, with this kind of pressure I put on the gas pedal, I would be at around the 80 - 85 MPH speed, but I was going pass 95 MPH easily. My wife said I hit 100 MPH, but didn't see it. I didn't even put it in 'S' mode. The car really opened up.

We got some lunch and some groceries, and going back home, I tested it with the "S" mode and I could feel there was a lot of power available but didn't want to go beyond 100 mph as my missus was monitoring my speed. She's always nervous once I get through 100. All I can say is 'wow', plenty of torque. Before the Stage 1 port flash, I felt like the allroad was doing 6.5 seconds 0 - 60. Now, it feels more like 5.5 - 5.6 seconds 0 - 60. And I have not even gone beyond anywhere near 6,000 RPM.

Having driven a 3.0 Audi Q5, all I can say is that the allroad is faster and has more power than a 3.0 Q5. The Alu Kreuz makes it much more nimble changing lanes above 90 mph. Honestly, it feels better than the A7 I drove last month - about as quick, and even less body roll than the A7. Also tried it on inclined roads on the way home, the power just kept going with no hesitation.

It's kinda of like having an S4 Allroad Avant Now I could punch it and there will be no lack of power. I still have to test this on a long drive - and that's this Sunday. Going up to the Blueridge mountain for 6 days.

And to my surprise, Revo Stage 1 is now 20% discounted. I did not know, but the Revo dealer told me. So, instead of pay $499, I only paid $399 + taxes + misc = $460 total. Below is the link to the discount I was given. Awesome that I saved $100 today

Revo Waterfest Sale | Pacific German | 20% off! - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Last edited by ayap; 07-10-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about your warranty? I heard that the dealers can determine if you have flashed the ECU. That will void any warranty.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

If there is a warranty-covered problem down the road the dealership has to show proof that the tune was the root cause in order to void for that specific situation. There is no blanket voiding of warranty for tuning. At least not in the US and at least not a few years back when I did my research.

Originally Posted by djnuge
What about your warranty? I heard that the dealers can determine if you have flashed the ECU. That will void any warranty.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing a Stage 1 Revo tune tomorrow - I hope the allroad's Turbo can take it

If you're concerned about turbo life, I definitely wouldn't use Lucas oil stabilizer. It's as thick as an SAE 250 oil and doesn't have any beneficial additives. You can find the viscosity on Lucas's Product Data Sheet and you can find a used oil analysis at bobistheoilguy.com.

Sounds like one fun allroad!

Last edited by DennisM; 07-10-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Huey is correct. The warranty issue is a gray area.
Let's say if you have some defects in electronics or your instrument panel
or your windows are not working, that has nothing to do with the chip, so Audi will cover that.
I always buy and service my Audi with this dealer, so I have a great relationship with them.

After 4 Audis, I've only used the warranty once - and it was not even the normal warranty,
it was the "extended warranty" on my A6. And it was to replace a bulb that cost $85 and the
extende warranty cost $2000. I probably would not get an extended warranty anymore.
From my experience with Audis, if there's something wrong with my Audi - it's after the
warranty expires.

I've had the allroad for 2 years now, and have had no single problem with it.
My solution is to take care of the engine and turbos, because that's where the warranty issues
may come in with the chip. You can take preventive measures to make sure your engine is well maintained.
I change synthetic oil every 5,000 miles, which is also what Revo recommends.
I also put oil additives (Lucas Oil Stabilizer) to lengthen engine life.
My brother also recommends Lucas, and he has a car dealership in California.
Revo recommends BG MOA which I heard is good. I'm not really one to push the vehicle beyond the redline.
The tune just gives more torque/power at lower RPMs which is really what I need.

Originally Posted by djnuge
Old 07-10-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So what would you recommend to prolong turbo, Dennis ? Thanks.

Originally Posted by DennisM
If you're concerned about turbo life, I definitely wouldn't use Lucas oil stabilizer. It's as thick as an SAE 250 oil and doesn't have any beneficial additives. You can find the viscosity on Lucas's Product Data Sheet and you can find a used oil analysis at bobistheoilguy.com.

Sounds like one fun allroad!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Some Revo test runs on the A4 engine

Quick Reply: Doing a Stage 1 Revo tune tomorrow - I hope the allroad's Turbo can take it