A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 allroad, produced from 2012-present

Possible 2014 A4 Allroad purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 allroad Prestige with factory body color cladding over the wheel wells

Roger 1, I hope this helps!

Last edited by a6sline06; 08-19-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the photos of your Brilliant Black Allroad. It looks stunning.

In the photos, the wheel arches appear to have a satin finish, somewhat less glossy than the body. Is that the case, or is it simply that they'e at a different angle to the camera?

R

Originally Posted by a6sline06

Roger 1, I hope this helps!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
Thanks for the photos of your Brilliant Black Allroad. It looks stunning.

In the photos, the wheel arches appear to have a satin finish, somewhat less glossy than the body. Is that the case, or is it simply that they'e at a different angle to the camera?
R
Roger, yes you are correct the wheel arches do have more of a satin finish than a glossy paint finish. It's my understanding that some owners have had the arches repainted with the gloss finish and it looks great. The paint color on this car is often mistaken for Brilliant Black but is actually called Phantom Black Pearl and seems to have some sort of pearl glossy feel to it. It is really noticeable in bright sunlight as the car color appears to have a mix of blacks that sparkle rather than one solid color. One other note. All the gray panels on the car are painted the same as the body color.

John
Old 08-16-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've googled Phantom Black Pearl. It seems to be a very desirable and somewhat uncommon paint - it can shift its appearance somewhat in different light. Very nice indeed.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just pickup 2014 a monsoon grey AR about a month ago and love it so far. When my wife and I was in the showroom, there was a white glacier pearl with the white cladding which looks really nice from far but I could imagine after few years since the paint is on the cladding, it will probably faint away and looks terrible (IMHO).
Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just took my black allroad on a 2000 mile trip and it was a fun, fulfilling drive. Not tiring at all. I use to think that maybe I should trade it for an A7, but after this trip I'm beginning to appreciate the allroad much better.

Pros and Cons of the A7
- It has a more luxurious and cushy ride
- The gas version A7 a bit faster (5.4 sec) vs. the allroad's 6.4 sec, but u eat more gas
- The deisel A7 will probably be around 6.2 sec, about as fast, but 33-34 MPG.
- You pay $22K - $30K more
- The back is actually tighter with the drooping slant
- The trunk is not as big and tall as the allroad
- No Wiper at the back, and so bad visibility during rain and stormy weather.

Pros and Cons of the allroad
- It has a tighter ride than the A7, less cushy but firmer. At certain point, I'm adding Alu Kruez
- The trunk space is bigger
- I like the fact that it has a back wiper - great visibility and safety during rain and bad weather. But just better visibility than the A7.
- Much cheaper than the A7. You're $25K richer, which you can spend on years of road trip.
- The allroad has a higher ground clearance, so you can take it to the mountains and on rougher roads.
- If you get the gas version of the A7, expect to get 23 - 25 MPG highway MPG, and probably 17 MPG city. On the allroad, I just achieved 31 - 32 MPG real-world gas consumption (not computer) and I get 25 MPG city driving. About comparable to a diesel version of the A7. But the diesel A7 is probably $30K more in price.
- Everyone I met thinks the allroad is a really handsome wagon. The A7 gets mixed reviews on the rear look.

I also have a bumper with the same body color - black on black

Last edited by ayap; 08-18-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you.

Those are very informative and helpful observations.

I read in another thread here that reducing the tire pressure by 3 0r 4 pounds softens the right somewhat (though presumably at the cost of a bit of handling precision).

R

Originally Posted by ayap
I just took my black allroad on a 2000 mile trip and it was a fun, fulfilling drive. Not tiring at all. I use to think that maybe I should trade it for an A7, but after this trip I'm beginning to appreciate the allroad much better.

Pros and Cons of the A7
- It has a more luxurious and cushy ride
- The gas version A7 a bit faster (5.4 sec) vs. the allroad's 6.4 sec, but u eat more gas
- The deisel A7 will probably be around 6.2 sec, about as fast, but 33-34 MPG.
- You pay $22K - $30K more
- The back is actually tighter with the drooping slant
- The trunk is not as big and tall as the allroad
- No Wiper at the back, and so bad visibility during rain and stormy weather.

Pros and Cons of the allroad
- It has a tighter ride than the A7, less cushy but firmer. At certain point, I'm adding Alu Kruez
- The trunk space is bigger
- I like the fact that it has a back wiper - great visibility and safety during rain and bad weather. But just better visibility than the A7.
- Much cheaper than the A7. You're $25K richer, which you can spend on years of road trip.
- The allroad has a higher ground clearance, so you can take it to the mountains and on rougher roads.
- If you get the gas version of the A7, expect to get 23 - 25 MPG highway MPG, and probably 17 MPG city. On the allroad, I just achieved 31 - 32 MPG real-world gas consumption (not computer) and I get 25 MPG city driving. About comparable to a diesel version of the A7. But the diesel A7 is probably $30K more in price.
- Everyone I met thinks the allroad is a really handsome wagon. The A7 gets mixed reviews on the rear look.

I also have a bumper with the same body color - black on black

Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Roger1 .. I lowered the tire pressure 1 or 2 psi below recommended, and the ride is much more comfy and less bumpy. I like it a lot. It does not sacrifice the handling. The most probable downside when tires are a little under-inflated is a lower MPG. But mine did just fine with 30 - 32 MPG on the highway.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the deal's done, the A4 Allroad (premium+) is home, and now sports a full-paint finish, in Glacier White (gloss). Sport package, titanium grey interior, flat-bottom steering wheel, B&O, side assist. A pleasure to drive.

Will be installing 3M Scotchgard Pro film shortly, Canvasback cargo liner, and 17" Rial wheels wearing Michelin X-iceXi3 tires.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

R

I'm considering buying a slightly used 2014 P+ Allroad in glacier white with grey sports package seats. I welcome everyone's thoughts on a few questions:

1. The car is a previous service loaner? Is that a potential problem?

2. I'd like to have the grey cladding painted body colour - full paint finish. But I've never seen a factory full paint finish A4 Allroad. Can someone here tell me whether the factory full paint finish results in the grey cladding being as smooth as the body, or does the pebble texture remain?

3. Has anyone here seen a glacier white Allroad with grey sports seats? How does it look? I've seen only photos.

4. A contender is the BMW 328i wagon. I'd welcome comments from anyone who's driven both. The roads where I live are not terribly smooth, so I'd like a comfortable (smooth) ride, not harsh or even very 'firm'. From what I've seen, the BMW is quicker, handles a bit better, is more efficient (mpg), but has a smaller cargo volume.

5. I want good cargo area. Has anyone here cross-shopped the A7? - if so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks all.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very nice looking AR -------- like the front euro plate too!!!

Well, the deal's done, the A4 Allroad (premium+) is home, and now sports a full-paint finish, in Glacier White (gloss). Sport package, titanium grey interior, flat-bottom steering wheel, B&O, side assist. A pleasure to drive.

Will be installing 3M Scotchgard Pro film shortly, Canvasback cargo liner, and 17" Rial wheels wearing Michelin X-iceXi3 tires.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

R

Quick Reply: Possible 2014 A4 Allroad purchase