A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

034 Motorsport Springs - real world experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 034 Motorsport Springs - real world experiences

Hi all,

I'm considering the O34 Motorsport springs for my Allroad. For some of you that have them can you please comment on your real world use of the car with the springs on: like packing kids around, having 4 adults in the car, entering and exiting parking lots, speed bumps, potholes, ride quality.

I'm concerned that the car will sit too low and potentially scrape the undercarriage on speedbumps or off camber driveways etc.

Can some of you offer your experiences on using these everyday - I know the car would look great but worried about the practicality.

Thoughts please?

Old 02-27-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have an anything to add OP - I'm wondering much of the same. You might want to find an Allroad owner w/springs that would let you drive and decide. I'd like to add to those questions...what is the cornering/ride like as compared to the A4, A5 and S4?
Old 03-05-2019, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I had mine installed last Tuesday. I wanted to reserve comment until I had a few miles on them.

First of all, I can't remember when the roads have been this bad. This winter has been particularly brutal on the roads here in WI, with alternating days of sub zero weather and snow/rain. There are frost heaves and deep holes virtually everywhere.

Right out of the shop, I was shocked how stiff the new springs felt. Oversprung and underdamped. I had become accustomed to the magic carpet ride of the stock allroad.

After about 300mi, they have settled in a bit, and feel much better. Still stiffer than stock, but not harsh, in comfort mode. I still have the stock wheels and touring tires on, but plan to swap out for 19's and probably HP all season tires like the Conti Extreme Contact DWS.

The car is much more planted at speed, with none of the wandering with cross winds I noticed before. The ride is firm, but not harsh. I have not scraped or bottomed on any driveway approaches or speed bumps.

I am planning to also do the rear sway bar, which is still on back order from 034.

I would imagine that I will be even more happy when/if the roads ever thaw out.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the update veloAR. Any pics?
Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing yet. It's been so cold here I can't even wash the car. Will post when I take some.

Have appointment for tires and alignment next week. OEM 19 Rotors going on.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had my 034 Springs installed since the end of August and have put the car through all types of scenarios where I’ve had zero running or scraping issues whether it’s just me in the car or it’s fully loaded with gear, luggage, wife, kid and puppy. Both Summer 19” setup and Winter 18” setup I’ve had zero issues lowered on 034. Some scenarios below where the car has performed admirably with no spring or low issues.
-Speed Bumps
-Backroads
-Dirt roads to the Beach
-Winter roads
-Hard cornering (aggressive driving)
-NYC potholes, metal street plates of doom and various other NYC obstacles.
-inclines

Bottom line is I’m very happy. The only “low” I go on my OEM+ vehicles is what I call “wife friendly low” and the 034 springs fall into that category.
Pix

The following 5 users liked this post by Fantasiamon:
chunk_split (02-26-2021), ETrains (03-11-2021), jolsongoude (12-13-2022), Mythdoc (08-27-2021), TheDeadlyBrain (06-05-2021)
Old 03-06-2019, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Fantasiamon - your Allroad looks fantastic. Normally I don't care for the painted flares but they look great on your car with the blacked out trim.

Thanks for your detailed feedback on everyday driving situations - super helpful! I too am looking for an OEM+ type of set up to haul family, kids, gear, etc around without having to explain why my new luxury car bangs, scrapes or rides rough.
The following users liked this post:
ETrains (03-11-2021)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by triplev
Thanks Fantasiamon - your Allroad looks fantastic. Normally I don't care for the painted flares but they look great on your car with the blacked out trim.

Thanks for your detailed feedback on everyday driving situations - super helpful! I too am looking for an OEM+ type of set up to haul family, kids, gear, etc around without having to explain why my new luxury car bangs, scrapes or rides rough.
Thanks for the kind words. She’s coming along! More to do this winter!
I totally hear you on scraping and low issues and am extremely happy that it has not been n issue on the 034 springs for me. I have a bunch of other suspension mods as well but the springs will tighten things up significantly. Will you feel more? Yes. But your teeth won’t rattle. I drive in Dynamic Mode with “S” engaged almost exclusively and have not had complaints. Maybe once from wifey but “comfort mode” fixes that quick.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Allroad is the green one on the product page for the 034 lowering springs. They were installed for the previous owner, so I don't know what the car is like with the OEM springs. Like you, I was concerned about scraping, but in the almost 10k miles I've had the car I don't think I've scraped on a single thing. My driving is basic highway and suburban. I have not loaded the car beyond four adult men. I'm thrilled with the handling, but the car does also have the 034 sway bar, strut brace, and 20" wheels, to be fair.

All that said - the rear suspension does occasionally squeak. Sometimes it's dead quiet, and sometimes there's a chorus of squeaks no matter how smooth the road. My dealer blamed the springs, but I have no confirmed diagnosis.

EDIT: It turns out that the squeaking was from the 034 rear sway bar brackets, not the springs. The bushings needed to be removed, cleaned, and lubricated.

Last edited by 5DoorS4; 06-08-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: New information
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

This is being delivered this weekend. I'll report back on my thoughts. I am so worried about the springs here in New Orleans I made the dealer include a factory set. I'm coming from a Raptor so it is going to be quite an adjustment. Wish me luck... it's going to kill me to go back to factory height.

Quick Reply: 034 Motorsport Springs - real world experiences