A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

2017 Coolant Leak Systemic Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 Coolant Leak Systemic Problem

So I found my coolant tank completely empty about a month ago and filled it up. Thought that maybe the fill bottle lid was too loose and made sure to tighten it down. Couple of days ago I checked and noticed that my tank was half full and brought it into the dealer.

They checked it out and said the thermostat housing cover was leaking pretty badly and that another B9 A4 was in their shop for the second time with the same issue. They told me it is a known design flaw and that this is happening so frequently that there are no replacements available in the country (as they are all spoken for to other dealers) and it will be about two weeks until a replacement shipment arrives. They gave me a free loaner so its not that big a deal (although I miss my HUD and adaptive cruise control) but just something for other B9 A4 and Allroad owners to keep an eye on.

Lastly they said that our DSG has lifetime fluid and requires no maintenance which was news to me as it was an expensive procedure on my '13 s4's DSG.

Last edited by 13s4; 02-25-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 13s4
Lastly they said that our DSG has lifetime fluid and requires no maintenance which was news to me as it was an expensive procedure on my '13 s4's DSG.
Every 40,000 miles, at least as of the 02/23/2017 maintenance flipbook.
Ref: 02/23/2017 maintenance flipbook
Old 03-01-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you notice the coolant leak? Curious if you were just poking around and noticed (as in should i keep my eye on it) or did you see fluid somewhere?

Additionally, any Audi dealership technicians that told me the DSG transmission fluid was set for life would raise red flags with me pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by 13s4
So I found my coolant tank completely empty about a month ago and filled it up. Thought that maybe the fill bottle lid was too loose and made sure to tighten it down. Couple of days ago I checked and noticed that my tank was half full and brought it into the dealer.

They checked it out and said the thermostat housing cover was leaking pretty badly and that another B9 A4 was in their shop for the second time with the same issue. They told me it is a known design flaw and that this is happening so frequently that there are no replacements available in the country (as they are all spoken for to other dealers) and it will be about two weeks until a replacement shipment arrives. They gave me a free loaner so its not that big a deal (although I miss my HUD and adaptive cruise control) but just something for other B9 A4 and Allroad owners to keep an eye on.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too have had the coolant tank go dry a few times. Three times so far in 40k miles. It's roughly 1 liter of coolant to refill. WIll probably get that fixed before the warranty's out.

The DSG fluid is at 40k, it was a much simpler job than I thought, compared to DSG fluid changes in older Audis.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the exact same issue. I received a low coolant warning from the MMI one day, checked and the reservoir was almost empty. I took it in to the dealer and they confirmed the same thing. I've been waiting for three weeks now because the part is back ordered everywhere. They gave me a new A6 as a loaner so it's not costing me anything, but I much prefer my own car.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
I just had the exact same issue. I received a low coolant warning from the MMI one day, checked and the reservoir was almost empty. I took it in to the dealer and they confirmed the same thing. I've been waiting for three weeks now because the part is back ordered everywhere. They gave me a new A6 as a loaner so it's not costing me anything, but I much prefer my own car.

I would have thought the engine would have immediately overheated and seized up - with the associated damage when the coolant gets anywhere near empty. Good to know that did not happen. But it is something I will be opening up the engine for once and a while and taking a look.
What is the recommended antifreeze for the A4's?
Old 03-31-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I would have thought the engine would have immediately overheated and seized up - with the associated damage when the coolant gets anywhere near empty.
I believe that is just an expansion (or "overflow") tank. It is mounted pretty high up in the engine compartment so any water at all is still visible in the tank the engine itself should still be full.

Antifreeze recommendation

more choices
Old 04-01-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I would have thought the engine would have immediately overheated and seized up - with the associated damage when the coolant gets anywhere near empty. Good to know that did not happen. But it is something I will be opening up the engine for once and a while and taking a look.
What is the recommended antifreeze for the A4's?
The car will automatically kill the engine if coolant temps ever rise high enough for boilover. You will get lots of flashing red warnings in the VC. If the coolant level low warning comes on it takes about 1L of coolant in the overflow to bring it back the the minimum level mark, and about another 0.5L to max. OE coolant is G13, part number GA13A8JM1, or Pentofrost E is the same under the manufacturer's label. Dilute 1:1 with distilled water.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=breadbooze;25132593]The car will automatically kill the engine if coolant temps ever rise high enough for boilover. You will get lots of flashing red warnings in the VC. If the coolant level low warning comes on it takes about 1L of coolant in the overflow to bring it back the the minimum level mark, and about another 0.5L to max. OE coolant is G13, part number GA13A8JM1, or Pentofrost E is the same under the manufacturer's label. Dilute 1:1 with distilled water.[/QUOT

So with your recent experience, are you carrying antifreeze in your trunk?

Quick Reply: 2017 Coolant Leak Systemic Problem